Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,840   Posts: 1,582,589   Online: 988
      
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    1,660
    Images
    5

    Photo Shopping Trip

    Good Morning,

    I just returned from a trip to my usual St. Louis photo store. I needed mostly film and paper.

    Ilford paper was in very short supply. I couldn't get either 8 x 10 or 11 x 14 Glossy MG Fiber in any size package. There were a few stray packages of other surfaces, but the shelf was far emptier than usual. Regular MGIV--RC Glossy was not available in 8 x 10, but I did get some in 11 x 14. I finally ended up buying a 100-sheet box of 8 x 10 Cooltone ($58.52) ; it doesn't look dramatically different than the regular stuff anyway. The clerk said they were "hoping" that Ilford paper availability would improve.

    All the Ilford films were available, apparently in good supply. (Delta 3200, 36 exp. is $6.87 per roll.) I also saw Technical Pan in the rack. I asked the clerk to check the price; $11.99 per 36 exp. roll. Maybe when I win the lottery! T-Max 400 120 Pro-Pack is up to $19.10 now--should have bought before Kodak's usual January price increase.

    Ilford Fixer was available, but there were only a couple of bottles on the shelf. Very few Ilford chemicals of any kind were evident.

    The used-equipment selection seemed smaller than usual; not a very good selection, even for Canon or Nikon bodies and lenses.

    But there was good news--gas is a dime cheaper in Missouri than in Illinois!

    Konical

  2. #2
    ann
    ann is offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    2,883
    Images
    26
    supplies are abundant in Atlanta, inlcuding fixer that was in short supply at the end of the year.

    i take this as good news

    i realize, i was really thinking about ilford paper and fixer . and did not mean that agfa and forte products were easily found.

    sorry for the confusion
    Last edited by ann; 02-24-2005 at 04:00 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: clarifacation

  3. #3
    roteague's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Kaneohe, Hawaii
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Posts
    6,672
    Images
    18
    Consider yourself lucky. When I walk into the local camera store all I see are digital cameras, ink jet printers, etc. They have a very limited range of darkroom supplies (all Kodak), no large format film, equipment of any type. I buy everything I need mail order, except for the occasional roll of 35mm or a cable-release. BTW, I live in a city with a population of about 800,000.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

    "A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

  4. #4
    colrehogan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Posts
    2,016
    Blog Entries
    3
    Images
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by Konical
    Good Morning,

    I just returned from a trip to my usual St. Louis photo store. I needed mostly film and paper.

    Ilford paper was in very short supply. I couldn't get either 8 x 10 or 11 x 14 Glossy MG Fiber in any size package. There were a few stray packages of other surfaces, but the shelf was far emptier than usual. Regular MGIV--RC Glossy was not available in 8 x 10, but I did get some in 11 x 14. I finally ended up buying a 100-sheet box of 8 x 10 Cooltone ($58.52) ; it doesn't look dramatically different than the regular stuff anyway. The clerk said they were "hoping" that Ilford paper availability would improve.

    All the Ilford films were available, apparently in good supply. (Delta 3200, 36 exp. is $6.87 per roll.) I also saw Technical Pan in the rack. I asked the clerk to check the price; $11.99 per 36 exp. roll. Maybe when I win the lottery! T-Max 400 120 Pro-Pack is up to $19.10 now--should have bought before Kodak's usual January price increase.

    Ilford Fixer was available, but there were only a couple of bottles on the shelf. Very few Ilford chemicals of any kind were evident.

    The used-equipment selection seemed smaller than usual; not a very good selection, even for Canon or Nikon bodies and lenses.

    But there was good news--gas is a dime cheaper in Missouri than in Illinois!

    Konical
    Gas is generally always like that from Missouri to Illinois.

    Assuming you went to where I think you did, for 35 mm Tech Pan, it was $11.68/roll back on Aug. 16, 2004.

    I've noticed the used section is getting smaller there too.

    Next thing you know, they won't be carrying D76 anymore. I might have to (gasp) try Rodinal!
    Diane

    Halak 41

  5. #5
    donbga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Posts
    2,084
    Quote Originally Posted by ann
    supplies are abundant in Atlanta, inlcuding fixer that was in short supply at the end of the year.

    i take this as good news
    Try finding a bottle of Rodinal in Atlanta for sale.

    Don Bryant

  6. #6
    ann
    ann is offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    2,883
    Images
    26
    don, pm me i have several unopened bottles, also check wings

  7. #7
    glbeas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Roswell, Ga. USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    3,307
    Images
    109
    Yes, Wings is carrying the 125ml bottles of Rodinal. Have you also seen they are carrying Ilford paper rebranded with the Wings name? I've talked with the owner, quite a nice guy and has a pretty good dislike of digital like a few of us here. So it seems we have at least one camera store owner on our side who will go out of his way to be sure analog supplies are still available in his store.
    Gary Beasley

  8. #8
    Donald Qualls's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,845
    Quote Originally Posted by roteague
    Consider yourself lucky. When I walk into the local camera store all I see are digital cameras, ink jet printers, etc. They have a very limited range of darkroom supplies (all Kodak), no large format film, equipment of any type. I buy everything I need mail order, except for the occasional roll of 35mm or a cable-release. BTW, I live in a city with a population of about 800,000.
    The one local camera store that carried B&W paper and chemicals and did 120 size C-41 processing in house is closing in a few days -- good news was, I got a bunch of stuff at half price; bad news is, I can't just clean them out because I haven't the money. The only other "local" camera store in the area carries little B&W and almost no 120, though they can at least get it for me if I request it -- I've been going to the one with stock. And then there's Ritz -- we'll see if their processing is worth a 2-week wait (I doubt it); if not, I'll have to try to find the one remaining pro lab in Greensboro and find out what they charge to do negatives only -- or look at making the jump to doing my own C-41.
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    5,243
    Images
    9
    My local camera store had their kodak dealer staus pulled because they would not order 1000 of the plastic PS cameras. The guy said they would never be able to sell that many. Their Illford dealer staus was pulled because they would only buy two kinds of paper at a time, no film and no digital media. They are a small art gallery and art supply store that had a nifty little stinky room for darkroom supplies. Now it is almost empty. All they wanted to do was sell what the local community and a few tourists would buy. After hearing this, and reading the letter from kodak, it seems that the big producers are shooting themselves in the foot. I for one will be supporting the little guys and fuji. My business will go to the camera store for what they offer until it runs out, I actually like their NU-FIX. After that JandC will get all of my business. It won't be a lot of money but oh well.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

    So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    1,660
    Images
    5
    Good Afternoon,

    When I started this thread about three weeks ago, I had just returned from my usual photo store and had noted the slim selection of some items, especially Ilford darkroom supplies.

    I just got home from another trip to the same place. Things look a lot better today. There was a good supply of Ilford papers, both RC and fiber. Sizes from 5 x 7 to 16 x 20 were readily available; a number of different surfaces were on the shelf, particularly in 8 x 10, and packages/boxes of differing quantities were present. Some Ilford chemicals could be had, but there was a much better selection of Kodak stuff.
    Prices: I didn't do much checking, but twenty-five sheets of MG-IV RC was $15.00.

    I hope this is a sign of permanent improvement in the supply situation.

    Konical

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin