Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,714   Posts: 1,514,724   Online: 849

Shooter
    35mm

Solid ND filters with slide film?

Have anyone shot solid ND filters with slide film before? I have used solid ND filters before but anything like a 6 stop density tended to give some color casts. My B+W 106 6 stop a was less than my Hitech 4 stop but both were visible the latter very you won't miss it. Since I like to see my slides on a lightbox, it is a bummer. Any advice? For landscape photography - reflections on lakes etc, yes I know that a landscape guy should wait and wait it out for better conditions but with travel you only have so much time allocated.

Eg - this was E100G film with and without the Hitech 4 stop.
    https://farm7.staticflickr.com/6145/...507b11_o_d.jpg

Cheers.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    At a sunset colours could change even during changing filters.

Have you considered reciprocity effects?

What hue gave that B&W 106 filter?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    At a sunset colours could change even during changing filters.

Have you considered reciprocity effects?

What hue gave that B&W 106 filter?
    The shutter speed wasn't that long to warranty reprocity.
    The B+W gave a yellow brownish cast.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The 106 has a near flat transmission curve, but a kind of step in the red region of about 1/4 stop.

You might try a CC Cyan to get neutrals.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    These photos are not so much about waiting around for the light to be 'just so', but more of metering correctly and, resisting this ND filter stuff. The unnecessary 6-stop ND filter has effectively introduced reciprocity: you are using slide film in low light, and it will literally tumble off the edge when using solid filters — it doesn't take much at all to bugger an image. Additional exposure of more than one stop needs to be introduced, even then it might not be enough (hence bracketing). I would suggest throwing ND filters away (I have not used any of them since the 1980s) and skilling up with spot metering for scenes like this. When travelling, it is critical to invest in skills and experience so that you can pull off a wunderkind whatever the circumstances.

Nelson Bay tidal flats, New Zealand
    EOS1N, spot metered, Velvia 50 at EI40, no filters.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tidalflats_Nelson_SI_NZ03.png 
Views:	16 
Size:	1.15 MB 
ID:	90526
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisson Du Jour View Post
    These photos are not so much about waiting around for the light to be 'just so', but more of metering correctly and, resisting this ND filter stuff. The unnecessary 6-stop ND filter has effectively introduced reciprocity: you are using slide film in low light, and it will literally tumble off the edge when using solid filters — it doesn't take much at all to bugger an image. Additional exposure of more than one stop needs to be introduced, even then it might not be enough (hence bracketing). I would suggest throwing ND filters away (I have not used any of them since the 1980s) and skilling up with spot metering for scenes like this. When travelling, it is critical to invest in skills and experience so that you can pull off a wunderkind whatever the circumstances.

Nelson Bay tidal flats, New Zealand
    EOS1N, spot metered, Velvia 50 at EI40, no filters.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tidalflats_Nelson_SI_NZ03.png 
Views:	16 
Size:	1.15 MB 
ID:	90526
    Re: giving up the idea of ND yeah ... it does become easier without them.

The Hitech 4 stop I couldn't get it to work on slide film could be fixed some what with a hybrid approach I suppose but I rather get the slides right. The B+W 6 stop - yes I have been spot metering it and without the filter and my 6 stop filter does need 1 stop more or 1.3 stops. It seems a lot easier to just F22 the lens on 35mm format or more with a larger format which I am considering at the moment and use 50 speed film, maybe employ a 2 stop ND and or a CPOL at most.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin