Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,301   Posts: 1,536,150   Online: 818

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

Cataract Surgery as it may effect us as Photographers

There is an article in the September 2014 issue of Sky & Telescope magazine called, "Cataract Surgery for Astronomers".

I think it has an important bearing on us as photographers as well. It is well worth reading and explains some things to be aware of and ask your doctor about.

If anyone wants, contact me with you e-mail and I'll send a couple of PDF files I scanned of the article. (had to break it into 2 files to get it small enough to e-mail)
    WJS/wi/usa

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Thread moved to "miscellaneous equipment" for lack of a better option. "Feedback and Discussion" is for feedback about the APUG forum.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Thank you, sorry for putting it in the wrong place...
    WJS/wi/usa

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    AFAIK, this is a recent copyright article. Please be careful what you upload/download. I just saw the same article and had the same surgery.

PE

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I had my first cataract surgery at 35 years old..It was botched, my eye hacked up and almost blind in the eye. Some years later my new surgeon replaced the bad lens, repaired the irridectomy, placed 24 sutures to keep my pupil round. I have similar issues with the other eye..I still have no problems making pictures with view cameras.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I had cataract surgery on both eyes last year and find photography easier than in a long time. It does mean using reading glasses and magnifiers for some work, but the improved vision far outweighs that minor inconvenience.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I had cataract surgery on eye last Oct and again on the other eye in Feb. No issues, can see just fine. The same is true for my wife. Since I've always been nearsighted and have no trouble reading, I've only needed distance correction. Before the surgery, the surgeon and I discussed how I preferred that he set the prescription for the implanted lens, and I told him to make it so I'd need bifocals for distance and for mid-range (arm's length) but none for reading - as I was accustomed to this setup. So that's what he did, and it has worked out well. So I don't need glasses with the view camera, and that's very convenient.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    AFAIK, this is a recent copyright article. Please be careful what you upload/download. I just saw the same article and had the same surgery.

PE
    I did not think about this but you are correct, I probably should not send this out. I would urge anyone interested to go and buy the current September 2014 Issue. My intention was only to get the information out as I think it would help some of us who are probably going to have to deal with this at some point.
    WJS/wi/usa

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    My father had cataract surgery on his one 'good' eye. He only had sight in one eye and that was so near sighted that he needed either a ridiculously thick glasses lens or a contact lens which was a few Dioptres stronger than the company officially made them.

When he had the cataract surgery, he was amazed at what he could see. Everything from his arm's length to infinity was in focus. He spebt a few months just walking around looking at things.

All from an operation which was carried out through a cut in the eye just a few mm long. The old lens is destroyed ultrasonically and removed with a syringe then the replacement lens is inserted, rolled up, via another syringe.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I marvel at the technology. When my mother had cataract surgery in the early 80s she spent 4 days in the hospital. Whenever I've had it I've gone to an outpatient surgery center on a Wednesday, take it easy the rest of the day, go to have a followup visit with the surgeon on Thursday morning, and I'm back in the office on Friday. It's one area of medicine that gives us truly miraculous and immediate results.
    Jim

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin