Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,763   Posts: 1,670,806   Online: 753

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

as you increase / decrease film format, and control, your quality increases?

a lot of folks. believe when they increase or decrease film size their quality increases ( or decreases ).

the same can be said for lack of control ( holga, box cameras, pinholes &C).

do you honestly believe you can take better photographs with your diana than your ebony 11x14or better photographs woth your spotomatic than with your clack?

and why?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Increasing the size of the format you shoot is not going to magically make your quality increase.

Shooting larger formats does require more attention to details. And because large format is a completely manual process it requires more thought.

This additional thought and attention to detail is what leads to an increase in the quality of your images no mater what size format you are shooting.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Lets assume some photos are better than zero photos. Many good photos evade us as we tinker with tripods and large cameras instead of keeping our eyes open and snapping a scene or emotion. I love the big cameras and use them, but also use cheap low quality cameras. I am fussier than you about film, but that's not for this thread.

I put the same thought into MF as LF, even with just a holga or rolleiflex. I try to be familiar with both formats enough that I don't think too much about the camera, just what I'm shooting. Bigger DOF with MF makes me think more about the background. LF I have to think hozontal or vertical, which I don't with the MF square camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm never convinced by the idea that LF slow and steady improves the goodness of photographs. Or that film "slows you down" and therefore makes you a better photographer than using digital. Otherwise all LF photographs or all film photographs would be "better" than all smaller formats or all digital photographs* ... which just doesn't make sense and isn't borne out by any evidence anyway

As for me, I use whatever I feel like using or whatever I think (feel, often) will be the thing that'll help me get what I think (feel) I'm after from taking photographs.

I just bought a PEN EE because I had a half-frame-hankering (and it was a bargain and I had a tiny bit of spare cash), but I'm not under any delusions that it will make me a better (or worse) photograph taker.

*oh dear god I hope that doesn't ignite another lot of yammering from the "digital photographs aren't real" brigade ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jp498 View Post
    Lets assume some photos are better than zero photos.
    I like this

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    For me it's not about better or worse, higher or lower quality, just a different way of working. When I shoot sheet film (of any size), I work slowly, compose slowly, focus slowly, and carefully consider every aspect of the process before making the final exposure. When I shoot with plastic toy cameras or faux TLRs I work more quickly because those tools require me to make fewer decisions (no focusing, guesstimate framing, one shutter speed, etc.) and are usually not tripod bound. I've taken photos I am happy with using every camera and format in my collection, from Minox through 8x10.

Jonathan

My wife gives me hell when you leave the toilet seat up... so STOP leaving the toilet seat up!!
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Increasing film size increases the "possibilities" of final image quality (large prints or murals). Failing to master the larger format is the fault of the user, not the format. If you're only doing 8x10" prints then stick to 135 format. If you want to make 16x20" prints then switch to 6x7cm or 4x5". If you want to print larger then switch to 8x10++. If one fails to master large film then don't blame the format.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hmm ... but I built a couple of simple 8x10 cameras so I could print 8x10 contacts. Are you telling me I should throw them away and stick to 135?

My wife gives me hell when you leave the toilet seat up... so STOP leaving the toilet seat up!!
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pdeeh View Post
    Hmm ... but I built a couple of simple 8x10 cameras so I could print 8x10 contacts. Are you telling me I should throw them away and stick to 135?
    I wouldn't throw them away but stick to 135 or 6x7cm format, yes.

Okay... bracing myself for the backlash. OUCH!!!... in advance.........

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

no not at all, but i do think it's very amusing that so many people know exactly how other people should do or think about things (it's usually the same way as they do or think them themselves, curiously enough); APUG is jammed solid with people who are endlessly willing to tell other people why they shouldn't do what they're doing ...

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin