Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,821   Posts: 1,581,855   Online: 1097

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What sort of problems are you having with your current pack? You said it's not acceptable...is it a size issue or a function issue? I have a Tamrac Expedition 8 that I can easily fit more things in than I can possibly carry! I love the thing! I can take the Hassy, both Canons (AE-1 & Elan7), film, filters, lenses, tripod, raingear, trail mix, maps, hair brush... the list is endless!

But there are times when unstrapping a backpack and putting it back on is a real PITA! I have a smaller Tamrac shoulder bag that holds the Hassy & my Elan7. I can't fit any other lenses in it, and I must strap the filter packs on the outside of the bag. No tripod holder.

I keep looking for the perfect bag too. So I hope you find one!
    Jeanette
    .................................................. ................
    Isaiah 25:1

Shooter
    Multi Format
    When I picked up my secound camera, I needed a case to carry them. After looking at the $$! of a pelican, I went a got a aluminun one from the local hardware. It fit my Nikon SLR and a Yashica TLR, light meter, film filters and lens cleaner with some room to spare in the foam.
    Now I've gone and bought a Mamiya RB67. It won't fit in the case with the others I have so now I need to choose. New case for the RB or get rid of the TLR and redo the foam? Then I thought, I'm going to get a couple more film backs, more lenses, new tripod.
    hmm guess a new case is in order.

I now understand the look I got from the Mrs when I said I'd like to try a LF workshop...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Jeanette
    In short yes and yes Well it's just barely big enough but it is very impractical and the upper comp where the Bronica sits is not padded. To get to the other gear you have to "part" it in the middle (sorry bad english) and on this last trip I saw lots of snow finding its way into the compartment. The tripod is fastene to the bag so you can't get to the photocompartment, grr. The bag is very soft and sits uncomfortable at least on my bag and it is unstable too.
    Please tell me more about the Tamrac Expedition 8
    Regards Søren

Shooter
    Large Format
    Like many here I have way too much equipment. I don't use anything other then large format any longer. My Bronica system sits gathering dust as does my medium format enlarger. My 35 mm hasn't seen daylight in years. I sold my 12X20 since it was not my thing.

My suggestion is choose one format and become absolutely familiar with it. When it no longer says what you want to say then get rid of it and use what will say what you want to say.

My experience with all of the excess camera stuff started out as a learning process, tranformed into an ego thing, and ultimately became a burden. Perhaps your experience will differ.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I now understand the look I got from the Mrs when I said I'd like to try a LF workshop...
    Only time I actually "asked" my SO if I could get another camera, she said, "Yes, but you have to get rid of one too." Sold my Fuji GS690 III rangefinder, picked up Sinar F2, three lens boards, two lenses, three bellows, rail extensions, reflex viewer, 12 film holders, Polaroid back...

Boy did I ever have to pay for that one... :rolleyes:
    If you tone it down alot, it almost becomes bearable.

- Walker Evans on using color

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NikoSperi
    Only time I actually "asked" my SO if I could get another camera, she said, "Yes, but you have to get rid of one too."
    I preempted that by telling her I would be selling one. Then gradually let slip that that was because I was buying another one. I still haven't told her about the new lenses I'll be getting because the new lensboard is smaller than the other one, or of the nice old brass lenses I stumbled across when I was looking for a 305 G-Claron without shutter, or the 9x12 plate camera which just happened to catch my eye (oh well, I'll have the whole Voigtländer series then...), or....
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I find myself choosing the extremes of my equipment. I went shooting on Cumberland Island, Georgia this past weekend and took the 8x10 to shoot the landscapes and the 35mm to shoot the wild horses. I seldom shoot with any of my 4x5s or any of the roll film cameras. I do sometimes use my 2 1/4x3 1/4 Speed Graphic as a view camera.

I'm with Don. Sometimes all of these cameras are a burden. And we won't mention the typewriters.
    juan

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    On my last two road trips I took my two Nikons and their associated lenses and my 5x4 kit with its lenses. I did not take a single photo with either Nikon, even though they travelled 9000km to be with me.

It seems I'm addicted to using the best quality equipment I have at hand. Why shoot on 35mm? If it's worth capturing, it's worth doing it properly. The Nikons are staying at home next time.

My advice? Shoot with the biggest film you can carry. Life's too short to regret shooting on tiny film.

Cheers,
    Graeme Hird
    www.scenebyhird.com

Failure is NOT an option! It comes bundled with your software ....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I travel with the Mamiya 6, 3 lenses (50,75, 150) a handful of filters, light meter, cable release, and film for the day's shooting. The tripod is added at night. I will travel with about 50-75 rolls of film per week, but generally only have 10-15 rolls on me at any time. The gear is carried in a modified sling bag. I have often brought my 4x5, grafmatics, light meter and 2 lenses (58 and 75), but I have yet to work out an efficient way to carry this gear.

I recently aquired a Pacemaker Speed press camera. If I can work out some details (appropriately wide lens with rangefinder coupling being the main issue) it will come with me on future trips.

I may retire the Mamiya 6 for a 7 and the 43mm or possibly augment it with a panoramic 120 (or even the Xpan). For me rangefinders are the way to travel, but I am ambivalent about some of the sacrifices (not in the way they operate, but lens selection and price).

Well I'm in the weeds now so I will stop.

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    What I carry depends on where I'm going, how long I'll be there, and what I anticipate photographing. My entire large format outfit goes in a shoulder bagk originally made (I think) for a laptop computer -- two 9x12 cm plate cameras, 13 plate holders, boxes of film, tubes for storing exposed film (in case of field reloads), changing bag, black t-shirt dark cloth, light meter, cable releases, tripod shims (tripod screw is too long and bottoms in the socket). I can hang the tripod from the bag flap if necessary, but it's awkward that way; the tripod has a strap, too, so I usually carry it separately..

Medium format is a bunch of loose stuff (folders and TLR); though I have a ballistic nylon "athletic bag" that will carry it all, I don't normally want to pack that much so I carry individual cameras. Maybe I should switch back to the big bag; it also holds format masks in a box, extra film, my lightweight tripod(s), etc.

For 35 mm, I have only one working SLR body; it and all the lenses I own that aren't duplicates will fit in a small semi-hard case. My half frame is down for repairs, and my pre-War 35 mm folder has a badly worn frame spacing system that needs attention.

And, of course, I can carry my Minolta 16 II and two or three spare film cassettes any time I have a pocket...
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin