Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,817   Posts: 1,581,641   Online: 765

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Images
    The space in the car is how I choose, but I always have more than one format with me. If the wife and child are not going, all of my cameras go: 35mm-5x7. I throw the two tripods in the car and various sundries, a 12er of diet pepsi and have a hell of a good day. If the wife and child are going I tend to leave one or two cameras home, and one of the tripods. The LF stuff always goes. Diapers are added to the various sundries and less diet pepsi. My wife says I have a drinking problem. And still have a hell of a good day. What does not fit inside goes on the top. I hate choosing. I was only allowed to take one camera to Vancouver, the last time we went, and it was like choosing which child to leave behind.

I don't dare buy another camera, our couch was not meant to be slept on, and stray cats urinated in the dog house. The dogs won't even use it.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole
    I have so much camera gear now that I have to choose...

If I travel by car, I'm likely to take 5x7" and 18x24cm cameras, and throw in a MF folder for good measure. Unless I'm planning to shoot for enlarging; in which case I'll take 4x5" and 5x7". And an MF...

I also have to choose. I have to travel by car to get to the places I shoot. I have been shooting mostly 8x10 lately. So, my 35 mm, 6x6, 6x7 and even the 4x5 are gathering dust inside their respective bags. The other camera that I've used lately is a no-no to be mentioned here.

It usually comes down to where I am going and how much walking is involved. My 8x10 outfit is heavy even with the small cart I use to move it around.
    Diane

Halak 41

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    For me it depends upon where I am going. If I am going to stay on the island, the I carry either the 4x5 or the 35mm; rarely both. If off island, I carry both; the 4x5 camera, 3 LF lenses, meter, Nikon with lens on the airplane, and a 105mm lens for the Nikon in my check bags (inside of a tennis shoe).
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Soeren
    Jeanette
    In short yes and yes Well it's just barely big enough but it is very impractical and the upper comp where the Bronica sits is not padded. To get to the other gear you have to "part" it in the middle (sorry bad english) and on this last trip I saw lots of snow finding its way into the compartment. The tripod is fastene to the bag so you can't get to the photocompartment, grr. The bag is very soft and sits uncomfortable at least on my bag and it is unstable too.
    Please tell me more about the Tamrac Expedition 8
    Regards Søren
    The Tamrac Expedition 8 is almost like a real backpack that happens to hold camera gear. It has a hip belt and even adjustable "spleen" pads for your back. It is very comfortable to wear, and since you are reallyy not carrying the weight on your shoulders, but on your hips & through your legs (just like a true backpack), you can walk pretty much all day with the thing!
    Here's a link: http://www.tamrac.com/welcome2.htm
    I had no problem carrying 3 cameras, 4 lenses, 2 film backs, film, filters and assorted "stuff". It's got a place either in the back for a tripod, or on the side.
    Check out the website! Hope this helps!!
    Jeanette
    .................................................. ................
    Isaiah 25:1

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BWGirl
    The Tamrac Expedition 8 is almost like a real backpack that happens to hold camera gear. It has a hip belt and even adjustable "spleen" pads for your back. It is very comfortable to wear, and since you are reallyy not carrying the weight on your shoulders, but on your hips & through your legs (just like a true backpack), you can walk pretty much all day with the thing!
    Here's a link: http://www.tamrac.com/welcome2.htm
    I had no problem carrying 3 cameras, 4 lenses, 2 film backs, film, filters and assorted "stuff". It's got a place either in the back for a tripod, or on the side.
    Check out the website! Hope this helps!!
    Thanks Jeanette. I have visited their website. it is very informative. what I was looking after was a users review. Some of my shoting budies are using the Lowe Pro pro- or supertrekker. It is really BIIG, maybe a bit on the "to large" side.
    Regards Søren

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mark
    I don't dare buy another camera, our couch was not meant to be slept on, and stray cats urinated in the dog house. The dogs won't even use it.
    I keep my beloved on a "need to know" basis. I often see her in some "new" chlothes which she claim she have kept in the closet for "years". Sometime she sees my handling a lens I have had for "looong"
    But maybe that wont work with LF gear
    Søren

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald Miller
    Like many here I have way too much equipment. I don't use anything other then large format any longer. My Bronica system sits gathering dust as does my medium format enlarger. My 35 mm hasn't seen daylight in years. I sold my 12X20 since it was not my thing.

My suggestion is choose one format and become absolutely familiar with it. When it no longer says what you want to say then get rid of it and use what will say what you want to say.

My experience with all of the excess camera stuff started out as a learning process, tranformed into an ego thing, and ultimately became a burden. Perhaps your experience will differ.
    I think you are partly right in the way that one should perhaps at least on trips restrict the choice of equipment. on my last trips I used 35mm and MF and on one both B&W and Color slides. Can one get more confused than by doing that. But whats is the best way to say what you want isn't always up to you. My photoclub don't have a MF slideprojector so I have to do the slides for that in 35mm
    OH BTW the slide from my Zenzei came out great. A little thin but I was shooting into the sun and wanted details in shadows so thats to expect.
    Regards Søren

Shooter
    Medium Format
    When I was away from home for a while, I took my Bronica outfit and about half my Nikon gear and left them at the place I was staying; I would bring one or the other depending on whether I was photographing people. In other words, I don't really bring multiple formats with me, unless you count the P&S in my pocket. I used to pack my 35mm gear and my TLR and my 645 rangefinder, but gave that up a while back.

Since you like chromes, I would just leave the Nikon at home and shoot chromes and B&W in the 6x6.

As for gear, I have a number of bags, and my favorite for working out of remains a small shoulder bag (I have a LowePro Nova 4 that is just about the right size) and my favorite for carrying is a backpack (I have a LowePro PhotoTrekker which now houses my 4x5, and it's fine but big, and a little Tamrac that's okay but too small). The advice I was given was "go to the store with your gear, stick it in bags until you find one you're happy with, buy that one".
    Last edited by gchpaco; 03-09-2005 at 02:18 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Whoops, needed to not stomp on B&W

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Definitely decide before you go.
    I recently hade a thoroughly enjoyable trip to Chile,and I wanted my camera gear to be carry on luggage-so it HAD to be small and light.
    Looking at my photos,it looks like I made the right decision,although there is one lens I wish I could have taken with me.
    Even if I'm shooting locally,I still have to decide what I want to shoot-my 35mm gear is heavy enough,add to that a Mamiya C33 body...ouch!!!!!
    A common mistake people made when designing something completely foolproof was to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Computers are incredibly stupid,but they are capable of being incredibly stupid many millions of times a second.

Both said by Doug Adams

Only put off until tomorrow that which you are prepared to die having not done-Pablo Picasso

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Soeren
    I keep my beloved on a "need to know" basis. I often see her in some "new" chlothes which she claim she have kept in the closet for "years". Sometime she sees my handling a lens I have had for "looong"
    But maybe that wont work with LF gear
    Søren
    It just takes some creativity. "Of course, I've had this LF camera for years, dear. Doesn't it look like an antique?"

Seriously, the approach I use is to try to decide ahead of time what I'm going to be shooting, and what the appropriate format will be. Car-based trips can be a little more flexible and gear-intensive - as long as you're comfortable leaving some gear in the car. (A large, well-trained watch python comes in handy for that.)

The cart rig I posted earlier is OK for level-ground hikes away from the car, but doesn't work well on inclines or rough trails. It does, however, allow me to take both the 8x10 and the 4x5, along with an array of lenses and accessories. The backpack on the cart is a LowePro Classic Trekker, which is pretty much filled by the 8x10 and one lens. A small auxiliary shoulder bag holds a 35mm rangefinder and 3 or 4 lenses. I use the 35mm to capture supportive shots for the treks that otherwise are LF-oriented - stuff that I might not want to "waste" LF film on.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin