Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,889   Posts: 1,520,779   Online: 1179

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Multiformaters what do you do

Hi again
    Since you didn't even try to talk me out of the Bronica SQ-Ai
    I bought it with the 80mm and the 150mm. I used to carry my Yashica 124G with my Nikon outfit since it didn't ad much to the bulk. things have changed so I ask you all: what and how much do you take along on your trips ? both 35mm and MF ? I'd like to take both so I can shoot slides with my nikon an B&W with my Zenzei. I carry the lot in a Lowe Pro Rover AW which is not at all satisfactory.
    Should I choose what to shoot before each trip or could you recommend another solution ? Lowe Pro or Tamrac

Regards Søren

PS I am getting the first chromes back today. I couldn't resist but had to try a couple of slidefilms in it.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I have so much camera gear now that I have to choose...

If I travel by car, I'm likely to take 5x7" and 18x24cm cameras, and throw in a MF folder for good measure. Unless I'm planning to shoot for enlarging; in which case I'll take 4x5" and 5x7". And an MF...

If I don't take the car, the Bronica will get an airing - ETRS with 40, 75 and 150mm lenses. And since it's so heavy already I throw in the 35mm Bess-L too, and a "backup" MF - likely the Zeiss-Ikon Ikonta 621.

If I bring my wife, she brings the 35mm outfit: Pentax Mz-5n with a couple of lenses. And since there's someone to help me carry (I hope), I might bring another size LF too...

-- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Soeren
    . . . Lowe Pro or Tamrac
    Yes.

[COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by rbarker
    Yes.

lol
    I want one
    Søren

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Jesus Christ, Ralph, that's scary! =)

-Sino.
    Close your eyes to see. This will take a while.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm with Ole: way too much gear. Choosing is the hardest part. Once you're out there, it's alot easier to make the gear (whichever part of it you brought) work for you. Most of the time, I bring along a bunch of stuff that I never use.

The format is typically exclusive: if it's 4x5", I have enough stuff to schlep that bringing another camera (and films) is not going to happen. If it's MF, ditto. I will on occasion throw in a rangefinder...

But if I had that golf cart... I could carry it ALL!!!
    If you tone it down alot, it almost becomes bearable.

- Walker Evans on using color

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NikoSperi
    ...But if I had that golf cart... I could carry it ALL!!!
    I couldn't... :o :o :o :o
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I used to carry the gear I wasnt using (that part is important) in a camera bag and lug it around with me.. Lenses I'd never put on, filters I'd never use, more film than I could ever plan to shoot, an extra camera (or three) etc.etc... while leaving my main 35mm camera strapped on my neck. Well, as you could guess I rarely used the stuff in the bag. and I no longer bring a bag with me unless I am traveling more than 100 or so miles.

I carry my 35mm and medium format on my person with the one lens on each camera and a few rolls of film in my pockets of varrying types, some lens cleaner, 1 or 2 filters and if needed a tripod. I find this so liberating! To walk around and not have to carry a big bag and feel 'free' only carrying 2 cameras strapped onto me. For my shooting style, mostly urban, going minimal has worked out very well and I've never thought "I wish I would have brought......"

I thought "I wish i wouldNT have brought...." a lot of times while carrying all that gear I'd never use!
    "Where is beauty? Where I must will with my whole Will; where I will love and perish, that an image may not remain merely an image."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I once lugged a 4x5 monorail in Aluminium case, my Mamiya 645 outfit in a shoulder bag and a 35mm Nikon (bung in the case) plus my tripod up a bush track to a waterfall. It was about 500meters... it nearly killed me! I now decide what I'm going to use and only take that!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Most of my shooting is "nature" so what to leave at home is very difficult.
    What I use and is left unused in the camera bag is unfortunately not the same from trip to trip. Sometimes it all comes into service like last sunday where both cameras, all my lenses + TC201 and PK13 saw the light of the day. Would I have missed some of it had it been left home ? Hmm propably not but there's this feeling "..... what if......."
    Søren

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin