Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,901   Posts: 1,584,485   Online: 1002

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    The reason I am scanning is for my website. If I have to I will make a real print and scan it for these pyro negs but I would rather not at this point in time. I usually scan in RGB mode and have the neg emulsion side down.

So far I don't have a workable solution this this problem except printing them.

Thanks for all your help, but if anyone has any further suggestions I would appreciate it.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Eric
    It looks like the dark point hasn't been set correctly ie on a point which is not sufficiently black. Suggest positioning neg in holder so that you can see some rebate. Perform a preview scan. Then select the dark point from the rebate using dropper tool, make other adjustments, highlights, curves etc, reposition neg in holder and then make the scan.

Should this not work, it may well be that the neg is beyond normal dynamic range of scanner, which is unlikely. Vuescan allows multi-pass scans, I used to use 3 with my Epson (rather less than) Perfection 1200, then they average out noise which enables much better shadow detail. Maybe Silverfast would enable you to do the same.

Concur scanning in 16 or 48 bit to remove posterisation.You can open out the shadows using curves.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    How do you set the black and white set points in Silverfast SE?
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I don't know, suggest using the help facility. It is a fundamental control, so it will bbe there. It prevents highlights getting burnt out and, as in your case, the shadows blocking up.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin