Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,274   Posts: 1,534,686   Online: 1071

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The DIY Idea seems to have spread widely.
    That rises the question what kind of Backback is suitable for the DIY-PRO Homemade Trekker. Of course it needs to flap wide open so the Rucksack aint that practical.
    It also must be of some quality at least to me, I don't want it to give up in the middle of nowhere or in some stream. Any big makes live up to that ?
    Cheers Søren
    PS. David I can't find the Tenba you mention.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I don't think the brand I'm using is all that well known, but then it doesn't really matter, as far as I can see. Just look for a well made pack that has front access and fits you well.

Even the very best "real" back packs come in below the price of the Lowe Pro packs. I'm sure you will find something suitable buy looking in a camping store, rather than a photo shop.

Cheers,
    Graeme Hird
    www.scenebyhird.com

Failure is NOT an option! It comes bundled with your software ....

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Soeren
    PS. David I can't find the Tenba you mention.
    http://www.jessops.com/search/viewpr...e-1c718da340f7

People were slagging Jessops off in another thread, but they have their uses!
    Incidentally, Google turned up 36 results for "Tenba P263", including reviews from users.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When I explored packs a while back, LowePro seemed to have the edge in the area of build quality, and at that time, Tamrac didn't appear to offer anything comparable. But since, Tamrac has changed, so the differences now are less critical, I think. So, while I use a LowePro Trekker Classic for my 4x5 or 8x10, depending, I find the design less than optimal from a camera-gear perspective.

If I were to do the whole thing now, I'd follow Graeme's lead, and modify a good pack from a good outdoor shop like REI here in the states. A little Velcro here, a little heavy-duty zipper there, and I'd have one that really works.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by David H. Bebbington
    http://www.jessops.com/search/viewpr...e-1c718da340f7

People were slagging Jessops off in another thread, but they have their uses!
    Incidentally, Google turned up 36 results for "Tenba P263", including reviews from users.
    Yes You are right. seems I have had a "bad google" day
    Søren

Shooter
    Multi Format

A good word for Lowe

I have both Lowe and Tamrac bags, both are excellent. I actually wore out a Lowe Orion AW, the foam back pad was disintegrating into tiny black dust. I wrote to Lowe about getting replacement foam (the bag owed me nothing), and they responded that they would replace the entire bag. I mailed them my old bag and a brand new one arrived a week later-you can't beat that for standing behind your products!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I certainly haven't noted any real quality difference in my bags. The accessories are different and some of the layout is different. I like the PhotoTrekker better than the big Tamrac backpacks I've seen, but it's not a big difference by any means. If the Tamracs are cheaper for you and work, go for it, I say. Or Graeme's construction, that looks pretty effective.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I just bought a Lowepro Photo Trekker AW for my 4x5 monorail and it works very nicely (though a bit on the heavy side with all that gear!). I've never tried a Tamrac bag out, I've always liked Lowepro. I've used the Orion Trekker, Orion Trekker AW (a very different and much larger bag), Rover AW II (I loved this pack! It just wasn't large enough for my 4x5 equipment...). I also use a LoweAlpine (same company) pack for "backpacking" (I've actually yet to go backpacking... so far it's only been used for overnights and camping).

On a side note... I think Lowepro backpacks really only shout out "I'm a photographer!" to other photographers. I doubt many theifs, unless they're photographers or have done a lot of research (which is possible, but they might as well just get a job instead!) really know what a photo backpack looks like. That's just my opinion, but I have yet to be held up at gunpoint or anything... On a side note, I'm willing to bet my Photo Trekker with all that equipment is pretty darn bulletproof, so I could probably run away and be ok! Until I got a heart attack that is...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for all your good ansvers.
    At least I now know I wont go wrong whatever I choose. I think it will be the DIY, Tamrac Expedition 8 or the Phototrekker that make it to the last round. Ill deffinitely try and work on some kind of homemade smaller backback for travel and not so demanding tasks.
    Cheers Søren

Shooter
    Multi Format

airplane?

These are all pretty big bags we're talking about here. Do you check these bags when you're flying? I've seen the way airport handlers throw bags around and I wouldn't feel too comfortable handing over a soft bag full of thousands of dollars of camera equipment to them. How do you guys and girls get this stuff to where you're going?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin