Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,963   Posts: 1,558,338   Online: 869

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    No batteries? It's a selenium cell. I found one also, although mine doesnt measure well, it's a great conversation piece.
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    www.RobertHall.com/mobile
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Zentena
    The II would be measuring Weston not ASA/ISO but it's pretty close to the same.
    What do you mean by this, it's a different film speed scale? I just got a Weston Master II myself recently on ebay ($11 w/shipping).

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Okay- but, be warned...

This garage/boot/thrift-store/junk-yard habit is one that is VERY hard to break.

I have boxes of cameras... Shur-Shot, Beacon, Anscoflex, Argoflex, Tower, Foldex, Ikonta, Clack, Click, Isoly, Seagull, Seneca, Ansco, Agfa, Ricohflex, Ciroflex, Duoflex, Spartus, Playlab, Zip, Squareshot, Tourist, Junior, Jiffy, Vest Pocket, Bullet, Hawkeye, Vigilant, Bantam, Autographic, & the like floating around...

This could happen to you!
    John (Alpha Flying Monkey) Moore
    http://www.flyingmonkeystudio.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by oriecat
    What do you mean by this, it's a different film speed scale? I just got a Weston Master II myself recently on ebay ($11 w/shipping).
    There are technical differences between ASA/ISO and Weston speeds, in practice just set one number lower on the Weston (e.g. ISO 125 -> Weston 100).
    If the needle on a Weston consistently falls back to the zero mark with the cell covered, this usually indicates the meter is is reasonable shape. One big thing to avoid with Westons - do not attack the zero adjusting screw with a screwdriver. Use your fingernail and understand that you only need to turn it a very small amount!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Moore
    Cool! Let's start posting our neat garage/yard/estate/antique store sale finds here.
    My best garage sale find happened when I wasn't even there. My darling wife goes garage sale snooping most Sundays with her girlfriend. More for fun than anything else. She returned one day and handed me a plastic bag and said "I saw this *thing* and it looked kind of cute, so I bought if for you"

Inside was a near-mint Agfa Solinette II, 35mm folder. Works perfectly and was my introduction to folders. ( I have a few now, all garage sale or flea market buys). The Agfa cost her 6 aussie dollars. about 4 USD.

And I really like the Canon QL17 GIII I picked up recently for $50 aus dollars.

Glenn

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Weston Speed is approx 1/4 stop slower than ASA/ISO therefore 125 ASA/ISO is about 100 Weston Speed

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by oriecat

It's been answered by others but yes. The first three models [I,II,III] use Weston. Weston used to test the film and publish a little booklet with the film speeds. Models IV on use ASA.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This little Weston was not my first great find... last fall, I went to an Estate Sale and bought a box of 10 packets of sepia toner for $1 US, and earlier, I went to a moving sale and bought 3 8x10 trays & a 4x5 film developing tank for $2 US. When the guy found out I had my own darkroom and shot B&W, he started hauling out his other photography equipment (he was moving to AZ & converting to digital ). He gave me 4 slave lights, a hand-held flash, a set of 3 macro lenses, a green filter for my 35mm, a couple filter cases, an audible beseler timer and two 11x14 trays. Now THAT was a bargain! I offered multiple times to pay him for the stuff, but he said he was just happy to give it to someone who could use it. Dang...gotta love digital.
    Jeanette
    .................................................. ................
    Isaiah 25:1

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Two bucks for a working Weston II? If I were a flamboyant person of alternate preference, you know what I'd call you.

Recognize that selenium cells (the self-powered thingy that measures the light) will degrade over time. That's why many Weston meters of that vintage no longer work well. Also, the measurement angle of Weston meters is kinda wide for precise work. But, for $2, it's a great find, and a wonderful piece of photographic memorabilia, as mentioned.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Images
    Good Afternoon,

I suppose my biggest bargain was a Seal 210 Dry Mount Press. The school where I was formerly employed was about to throw it out; I got it for nothing except the effort required to lug it out to the car.

Konical

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin