Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,754   Posts: 1,515,925   Online: 1034

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I hate those silly estate/garage sales! But, fortunately, my wife loves them. She's dragged me along to a few of them, early on Saturday mornings. There I am with bedhair and a lukewarm cup of coffee, shuffling through things with everyone else. :rolleyes:

Bargains? How 'bout a Leitz Valoy enlarger with Leitz Focotar 50/4.5 lens and a copy camera attachment for $7.00 US? A primo Olympus XA with flash and box for $25.00? A 13.5cm f/4.5 Leitz Hektor telephoto for $35.00?

But most of the time, I just shuffle around looking at broken stuff.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    best thing i got was not photographic, but i was going to use it for a photo-show. i had hoped to lug it into places and record birds tweeting, waves crashing, cars driving, white noise, trains squeeking on a track, you know, "life" ..... it was a 1943 bell sound systems record-o-phone. it cut 33rpm records from blank laquor plates ( analog! ) - i picked it up for $65 and got close to 2 dozen plates from transco for free. i later learned that it was a BSS prototype sort of thing made several years before 33rpm was put out for the "public to consume". kept it for a bunch of years, used it a little bit, and then sold it to a "herbal-tea-drinking-musician" from LA for enough money to buy a bunch of photo-stuff

now, if i had only bought "free and accepted's" skirt with the skull and crossbones i saw ... i'd have enough $$ to fill the car with gas and drive to another junk store ... gotta love the junque.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Best bargains I ever got was through the print shops I worked at upgrading and tossing perfectly good equipment out. I got a densitometer, a light table, a vacuum frame with a non working Olec light unit that I'll eventually have repaired, desks, and other stuff I can't remember.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    Medium Format
    It it is like the Weston I bought on ebay, it was so complicated what with all the various numbers to line up, that I sold it and bought a russian one instead. I think, I'm sure others will disagree, that a light meter is there to get you in the ballpark. From there you have to use your noggin to find the right seat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Wow. Bumping this oldie back to the top with a garage sale find!

My wife, bless her heart (I really don't deserve her) found a Yashica-44 TLR today for $10 USD and bought if for me!

After 30 minutes with wooden Q-tips and lens cleaning fluid, the camera looks almost mint. The only real problem is the slight dent in the folding viewfinder hood that you don't even notice unless you look closely.

I knew I was holding on to that 1995 roll of Efke R21 for a reason!

Eat your collective hearts out!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails garagesale2.jpg  

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I was driving home one afternoon about 3 years back when a neighbor's ex flagged me down and asked if I wanted to take a look at a box of photo stuff he had picked up with other things at a bankruptcy sale and wanted to get rid of. I pulled over and walked into the back of the shop to find a box of miscellaneous darkroom gear with a few disc cameras, synch cords, and similar odds and ends. He told me he was sure there was a another camera around somewhere. I'm expecting at best an old Polaroid folder when he comes back and hands me a Horseman 980! Ended selling me camera, 3 lenses, 3 backs, accessories and the box of odds and ends for $150. I told him I was robbing him blind at that price. And he still stops me in the street occasionally to make sure I am still happy with it! From there the transition to large format was just a matter of time.

Shooter
    35mm

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    My whole darkroom is filled with that kind of stuff. Equipment people did not know what to do with. I love how simple it all is. minor fixes here and there and it does everything I need it to do. Cameras I've had less luck with. They seem to all have a reason for obsolesance. scratches light leaks, whatever they just don't measure up to anal scrutiny. Some of that stuff could be great for a more random or freedom of expression but just can't past the imperfections.
    Stop trying to get into my mind, There is nothing there!

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Leica M-4 / 35 sumicron $25.00. I had to agree with him that it wasn't an SLR and even though the camera was made in Germany the lens was only made in Canada. Serial number indicated it was one of the first 100 made and still had the wax L in front.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Moore
    Cool! Let's start posting our neat garage/yard/estate/antique store sale finds here.

Yesterday I went up to a local antique store and found one of my dream cameras: a Super Ikonta B in fantastic!!! condition. I've got a roll ready to load up now
    Cool find! Mine was a Canon SII (rangefinder) with the Canon 50/1.8 lens, lens caps, side flash, filters, all original Canon for $20.00. Found at a local flea market. I asked why they were selling the kit and they said they wanted one of them d***ital cameras, they're much easier to operate!!!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin