Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,287   Posts: 1,535,334   Online: 842

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Moore
    I second watching ebay--you can buy them cheaper than you can buy the supplies to build one. Just won a 14x18" $100 Logan lightbox on ebay for ~$23 shipped for example.
    It's not as much fun as making one yourself :-)

G

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you end up getting a commercial box, it's worth taking the time to insert the optional glass overlay. It cleans easier, can be cut on and will prove more durable than the composite sheets. I've got a small 8X10 portable Testrite that is handy for taking out to a work table to spread out projects. I also am building one into my darkroom countertop as I'm accustomed to using at work. That way, the area serves a dual purpose and is always in the right spot in the darkroom.
    Craig Schroeder

Shooter
    Large Format
    I found an 11x17" X-Ray Viewer at the local landfill.. Working tubes and all.
    At my previous job they had one built out of wood and frosted plexiglass with fluorescent tubes inside.. Really simple but it worked just fine! Plus you can build it to your own dimensions!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Also, if you plan to judge color balance on transparencies, be sure that you find a light source with a high CRI (color rendition index) and a color temperature of 5000K to 5500K. Manufacturers of flourescent lamps often indicate that with a model number that includes the number 50 or 5000 in the name, like the GE Chroma50. Regular "daylight" flourescents are _not_ what you want for judging color. I'd give you more specifics if I knew the Australian market. There are even some 5500K LED light bars available on the web, which I plan to use on the next small lightbox I make. www.superbrightleds.com

Lee

Shooter
    Large Format
    I agree with Lee L about judging color with daylight fluoros. We judged little childrens smiles on Portra 120 NC, not color.

Those LED lightbars look like a great idea, please let us know how it works out!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sometimes you can find a good light table from a local printer going full direct to plate output. I've got one thats about 24"x36". It was a pain finding a good spot for it in the darkroom but a glass top table can be used for many different things.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Nicole,
    Use "garden flourescents" they are 5500K plus and very near to noon day
    sun light at 6000K

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicole Boenig-McGrade
    I'm tired to trying to see my negs through the window or against bad lighting at night. Therefore, I'd like to get a collection of ideas/suggestions/warnings on how to build a good lightbox. I have seen a couple of posts on this subject on APUG and would like to get together peoples own accounts in the one thread on how to build a good lightbox.
    Nicole
    Instead of a lightbox, consider placing a piece of tracing paper @ 20 cents behind the neg sheet and holding up to the light.

For a more up market version, get a couple of 12v 12 inch flouruescent automotive work lamps and put them behind the tracing paper. That's better than a light box :-)

Graham.

Shooter
    35mm
    Nicole,

Last year I built a light box based roughly on ideas I got in the book Build Your Own Darkroom by Lista Duren and Will McDonald (ISBN 0-936262-04-4). The plans are outlined in Chapter 8. I modified my dimensions significantly (20.5"L x 15.5"W x 6"H) and the light layout to accommodate easily found fluorescent light size and types. I used two (2) 16” Phillips Natural Light tubes and a mirror type Mylar auto tinting film as the reflector material inside the box (aluminum foil is not recommended). The top surface is white translucent acrylic. It turned out to be a great size light box that can handle 36+ slide selections very nicely yet remain very portable. What surprised me is the cost was almost $50 (including bulbs!). As a DYI project I thought it would be less expensive. I will try to post a simple picture below …Andrew
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lightbox.jpg  

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Webb
    Nicole,
    Use "garden flourescents" they are 5500K plus and very near to noon day
    sun light at 6000K
    Are these putting out UV for growing plants though????

BE CAREFUL!!!

joe

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin