Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,685   Posts: 1,548,567   Online: 1176

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

How to build a lightbox

I'm tired to trying to see my negs through the window or against bad lighting at night. Therefore, I'd like to get a collection of ideas/suggestions/warnings on how to build a good lightbox. I have seen a couple of posts on this subject on APUG and would like to get together peoples own accounts in the one thread on how to build a good lightbox.

Thanks so much for your input.

Kind regards,
    Nicole

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I built mine out of an old winebox (3 bottles), a piece of white PVC of 2mm and 3 15W TL-lamps that fit in the box. I added a simple switch to turn it off/on.

The lighting is not very equal throughout the surface but it is a great help. I spent about 50Euro on the different parts.

G

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    eBay has a lot of them at very low prices. The larger ones are more expensive.
    Here are a few good examples:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...500808891&rd=1
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...500944075&rd=1

Shooter
    Large Format
    I built a wooden frame with plywood bottom, 26" x 50" and packed it with as many 2-tube 48" fluor fixtures as wood fit (10 "full spectrum" 5000k tubes). On the inside of the frame, I glued aluminum foil as a reflector. For the top, I bought a sheet of 1/8" white plexi, and covered this with a sheet of 1/4 plate glass. The plexi and glass fit in a rabbit in the frame--leave some room for expansion as it warms up. The plexi cuts down quite a bit of light, so you need all the light you can produce, but it does give a very even light. The glass allows me to work on the table, fairly safely. (Never broken it in 3 years).

This is my 3rd lightbox, and the best so far.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Use lightwood?
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I took a trip to the local craft store. I purchased a small wodden box, I christmas house light, and a plastic "Box" style picture frame for around $5 total. Drill a hole big enough for the light in the box, remove the lid. Cut a piece of white printing paper to fit in the box frame and sit the frame ontop of the wodden box. Works great.
    Carpe Lumen -- seize the Light

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nicole,
    I needed to build a small one not only to get better visualisation of my negs, but also to conduct film speed and development tests. I got the original idea from Build Your Own Home Darkroom by Duren and McDonald.

It was dead simple: I got a 7' x 1' piece of 5/8 melamine, cut it down to 8'' width. Next, I cut four sections to make a box (mine is 12'' to a side). Next I cut a bottom out of MDF and then placed a ceramic light socket with an 8'' circular fluorescent fixture. I cut two pieces of perspex for the top and sandwiched a piece of tissue paper in between to diffuse the light. Parting stops (mouldings) are used to hold the perspex in place.

It was really simple to make and I did it with some scrap wood that I had laying about the house. It took around 1 hour to make.

Kent
    Max Power, he's the man who's name you'd love to touch! But you mustn't touch! His name sounds good in your ear, but when you say it, you mustn't fear! 'Cause his name can be said by anyone!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I second watching ebay--you can buy them cheaper than you can buy the supplies to build one. Just won a 14x18" $100 Logan lightbox on ebay for ~$23 shipped for example.
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    35mm

Cold light source

When I obtained my Durst S45 it also had an Aristo cold light souurce. I print almost entirely 35mm negatives. I turned the Aristo grid upside down and use it as a lightbox for examing 35mm negatives prior to printing. I examine the entire negative with both a 7x and 30x loupe after loading the carrier. It is a very bright light and allows me to fully examine my negatives prior to printing and get rid of dust etc.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    If you want a light box:

• Find a nice box
    • Be careful not to put heavy things into it

Then the box should remain light

Sorry, Nicole

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin