Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,086   Posts: 1,612,286   Online: 1169

Shooter
    Medium Format

Hi-tech filters - anyone use? (& with Lee holder?)

Hi there,

Does anyone use the resin 100mm Hi-tech b/w contrast filters? If so, any comments - good/bad? value for the money? scratch easily or tough as nails? etc.

Also, anyone used them in the Lee 100mm filter holders?

Thanks for any responses...

Sim2.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I have some. They work just as well as any other, but I treat mine with kid gloves and never really use them much anyway, so I can't say how tough they are. They are made out of CR39 plastic, which is tougher than polycarbonate when it comes to scratches, but it is by no means as tough as glass. I have a Hitech holder for them.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks for the reply, seems like not a lot of love for the Hi-tech... from what I have seen they wolud appear to fit the Lee holder - may just give them a go, what could possibly go wrong?!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Good question. I haven't used Hi-tech B&W contrast filters per-se (actually, I didn't even know they made them!) but I do use their ND-grad filters and like them just fine. They fit without problem in my Cokin Z-Pro filter holder so I would think they would be fine in your Lee filter holder as well. For what its worth, I actually use the Lee gel filter set of B&W contrast filters for my B&W needs, but I might have chosen the Hi-tech resin versions had known about them originally.

The main thing I can say about the resin filters I have used is that they tend to be dust magnets! That experience is based on a very dry environment, so consider whether that applies or not. I do think they can scratch fairly easily though and treating them with the proverbial kid glove is advised. One suspicion I have long held is that the greatest risk of scratching occurs while sliding the filters in or out of your storage container (sleeve, holder, case, or whatever you use), which is worse in the field where they may be accumulating dust. The tight clear plastic sleeves the Hi-techs come in are really not ideal in this regard and I would recommend finding a different storage container if you can. I keep all my 4x4 and 4x6 filters in a Lee filter case now, the one with the oversized, velvety pockets. My sense is that the soft material and more generous pocket size of this holder makes a real difference in keeping down the proliferation of scratches on susceptible (resin or gel) filters.
    Last edited by Denverdad; 02-24-2015 at 01:49 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use various Hi-tech ND grad. filters with the original Hi-tech holder - they work good for me.
    Like Denverdad said above - try to find a good filter storage.
    “…all photographs are self-portraits.” – Minor White

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use them in a lee holder. They're fine. I store them in an Adorama filter pouch like this but for 100mm filters. http://mobile.adorama.com/GBSFPP.html
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks for the replies and the confirmation that they fit in the Lee holder. I have the Lee polyester filters but some need replacing and the Hi-techs are less expensive than the Lee resins filters. The Lee pouch does do a good job with the velvety pockets though!
    Sim2.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin