Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,575   Posts: 1,621,917   Online: 1091

View Poll Results: whats your current favorite format, and why ?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • sub-mini

0 0%
  • 35mm

8 19.05%
  • MF

26 61.90%
  • 4x5

3 7.14%
  • 8x10

2 4.76%
  • bigger than 8x10

1 2.38%
  • other / no format / self made format / cameraless

6 14.29%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

what is your format favorite of the day, ( and process ) and why?

there a a zillion fanboy threads here on apug
    about minox, leica, ebony, chamonix, hassleblad &c

people float to formats they enjoy using aesthetics ( like the aspect ratio )
    or because they make contact prints, or because it is the only format they have ever used
    and love it .. but sometimes these notions of favorite format change over time.

what is your current favorite format and why?
    (please don't just say because i contact print and do alternative process work,
    there are reasons beyond alternative process that have lead people to formats like 36x50' )

thanks!
    john
    Last edited by jnanian; 03-15-2015 at 09:10 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Medium Format first and foremost because of the natural point of view with waist level finders, most of my faves have been shot below normal eye level. Second is the size of the ground glass. Third is roll film rather than sheets, bit more practical.
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'll bite, John.

Although I started out in 35mm, and have two extensive systems (SLR and rangefinder), I have, over the course of the last several years, been shooting an ever-increasing amount of medium format. A couple of reasons come quickly to mind: 1. I print my own black and white and do enjoy the ease of working with the larger negative; 2. I love the challenge of shooting in the square format (I am a non-cropper; if the image doesn't work for me, it never gets printed); 3. Medium format seems, in my mind, a valid compromise to lugging around a view camera (although I do have occasions when I wish I had never sold mine off); 4. With the demise of my beloved Kodachrome, a great deal of my landscape work seems to have changed in two ways: about 75 per cent is now black and white (PanF+, FP4+ and Delta 100/Tmax100), and the bulk is now medium format.

This not to say, of course, that my 35mm shooting has been left at the wayside. Rather, the types of subject matter I shoot with 35mm is more restricted: My Nikons and Leicas seem to be used primarily for people and events, with the former also used for some landscape tele work.

In sum, I would suggest that current interests - subject-wise - predominate in my reason for the nod to medium format.
    Some Nikons (F6, F5x2, F3P, F3HP, F2ASx4, F2A, F2 and a D800), with Ai/Ais Nikkors ranging from 15mm to 600mm; Leicas (M6X2), with Leitz glass from 28 to 90mm and a pair of Hasselblads (500c/ms), with Zeiss glass from 50 to 250mm. A bit of stuff for a no-longer practicing professional, but justifiable for a now-converted hobbyist who absolutely loves taking/making pictures.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    MF because of the combination of negative size/print quality over 135, and roll film convenience over sheet film.

If I were a sports or bird photographer I'd choose 135, if I were a studio or landscape photographer I'd choose 4x5.
    My blog / photo website: http://frankfoto.jimdo.com/

Openly biased and unabashedly
    pro film and wet darkroom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    MFbecause, to me it is the best compromise between quality ,cost,weight and flexibility
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Playing with my 11x14 Century #2.
    Rick Allen
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Like many I started with 35mm. I used it for wildlife photography, so it was the best choice for roaming and lens choices. However, as I transitioned to all landscape I moved to 6x7cm and eventually 4x5.
    I cannot say I have a preference between these two particular formats as I find them both useful when doing certain creative ideas and overall conditions. Additionally, I have certain MF lenses that are designed for specific uses that I do not have in LF and vise verse. So at times it maybe more lens usage that dictates the outcome more so then the format.
    "Nobody cares how much you know, until they know how much you care"

- Theodore Roosevelt -

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    5x4 because it's a practical, portable LF format, I can also shoot it hand-held.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    35MM. Cost,availability,portability,ease of use,ect. I may do some LF eventually skipping over MF altogether.
    ".............you don't see no hearses with luggage racks................"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Medium format for the same reasons Ralph mentioned. But lately, I've been working with 35mm quite a lot, it's been an interesting process of re-discovery.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin