Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,224   Posts: 1,532,568   Online: 1041

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Need Help from Nicole.

I have spent many hours watching the educational channels on Australia. I must say that I am much taken with the coverage on the "outback". I feel a real kinsip with Aussies. When you have a few minutes will you tell this Yank a bit about Australia's "Infront".

Thanking you in advance, I madam am putty within the warm fingers of your photographic hand.

Claire

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sure Claire, this country is sooo vast, where would you like me to begin?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Claire Senft
    I have spent many hours watching the educational channels on Australia. I must say that I am much taken with the coverage on the "outback". I feel a real kinsip with Aussies. When you have a few minutes will you tell this Yank a bit about Australia's "Infront".
    Do you mean "what is the opposite of the outback?"? For a start, most people seem to think that the outback is anything outside the cities, but that's not true. It's really the sparsely-inhabited interior. My work takes me to three different places in the outback, all in different states, and all very different from each other. APUG's own Graeme Hird lives in one of these places.

Shooter
    35mm

thank you Nicole.

Why not start at the beginning.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Claire Senft
    Why not start at the beginning.
    I've spent some time in the central Outback, near Alice Springs. I have some photos on my website as well as a couple of articles:

http://www.visionlandscapes.com/Gall...ry=KingsCanyon
    http://www.visionlandscapes.com/Gall...?Gallery=Uluru
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    35mm

You guys are too nice.

Thank you for your interest fellows. It is appreciated. Actually this thread was meant as a spot of fun with Nicole.

it has been very in formative though. I did not realize that anyone else in Australia used a camera. Guess I have been seeing too many cave painting by aborigines on the tube.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Hi Claire,

Although I now live in Australia’s most populous inland city, my first 25 years was spent in Melbourne.

Aussies romanticise the outback, claiming it defines our nation. We use it to promote Australia to the rest of the world, and the documentaries you’ve seen are part of that projection of our image. Yes, the people and places you see in them are real, but most Aussies aren’t like them.

In reality, 90% of Aussies live within 100km of the sea and the vast majority have never even visited “The Outback”. We are city dwellers, very much like those from any other western civilisation. We are multicultural and cosmopolitan. We are generally well educated and keenly aware of world news.

However, we are being driven by our media and politicians towards an insular societal model: we now keep those seeking refugee status in detention centres (ironically, often located in The Outback ….), we treat our indigenous people as third world citizens and we are encouraged to adopt American culture and world politics as our own. It’s working – a culture of fear is starting to insinuate itself into our normally off-hand psyche.

I do maintain my hope for our culture though – we tend to laugh at any form of authority (including religion). With luck, Aussies will wake up to themselves and reject the society we are becoming.

Cheers,
    Graeme Hird
    www.scenebyhird.com

Failure is NOT an option! It comes bundled with your software ....

Shooter
    35mm

Thank you all

Roteague you have some wonderful images on your site.

Graeme, America has much to be be regretful of for her own treatment of native Americans and our treatment of blacks is no model for anybody to emulate. What a shameful past have we.

When I see the situation in the Middle East I get a feeling of Dejavu. I am reffering to Israeli/Palestinians.

The subjugation of the less powerful by the mightier seems to be a historical force and trend.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Claire, I might well be wrong, but I've heard the best cure for curiOZity is a "walk-about" - lasting 15-20 years or so.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Claire, sorry I missed this thread alltogether. Looks like you got some great suggestions here already. Cheers, Nicole

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin