Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,688   Posts: 1,548,767   Online: 1280

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Photographer's Vest for the ladies

Hi all I ordered a photographer's vest from B&H made by Campco. It's a small but I guess their idea of small and mine are quite different as the thing is positively HUGE! The zippers are pretty crappy too...

I would love to hear your recommendations for a vest that isn't going to swallow me; I'm 5'2" and 110 lbs. thereabouts.

Thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That is a problem... all that photo gear is made for men. If you are ... shall we say... substantial, like I am, it's not a problem, but if not... hm...

Here's an alternative that may work... a pair of cargo shorts (with the large outer pockets) and a small waist pack. That should give you as much storage space as you need and won't contribute to overheating. (I have found that my vest could roast an 11-pound turkey in as much time as a convection oven)!
    Jeanette
    .................................................. ................
    Isaiah 25:1

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    One possibility ... visit your local Fly Fishing shop, and check out the vests made for Fly Fishing. Some of these work *very* well for photography, and many are 99% (or so it seems) mesh for warm weather. They are available in a wide range of sizes -- and there are even those expressly designed for female occuppancy.

Try ... you might have to do a search for the site ... Orvis.com
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wow...never thought of that! Thanks Ed!
    Jeanette

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Digidurst,
    Most of the vests are oversize to accomodate all the stuff you may jam in the pockets. You may be suprised how snug it is when you've filled all 396 pockets.

Images
    [QUOTE=BWGirl]That is a problem... all that photo gear is made for men. QUOTE]

As it should be had to do it, I will run away now.

The fly shop is a great place for photo stuff. I have my eye on a reel case that i think will make a dandy lens case.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Bad Mark! Bad Mark! haha

As I said... it's not a problem for me... but poor little/tiny Digidurst...
    Jeanette

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    LOL - you guys and gals are funny!

Yeah, I think I may try the outdoor shop here in town to see what I find. Cargo shorts might be ok but #1) they won't do except in the warmest of temps as I'm about as cold natured as they come and #2) I'm redheaded with the ghost-white skin to match so I try to limit sun exposure as it typically results in an unsitely red lobster glow which clashes in an uncomely way with the hair.

Those darn photo gear manufacturers need to realize that petite women are photographers too, by golly!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    FWIW, I think Ed's suggestion of the fly-fishing vest may be the best petite alternative. Plus, that little patch of fur used for handy access to flies could work as a lens brush!
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Digidurst
    LOL - you guys and gals are funny!

Yeah, I think I may try the outdoor shop here in town to see what I find. Cargo shorts might be ok but #1) they won't do except in the warmest of temps as I'm about as cold natured as they come and #2) I'm redheaded with the ghost-white skin to match so I try to limit sun exposure as it typically results in an unsitely red lobster glow which clashes in an uncomely way with the hair.

Those darn photo gear manufacturers need to realize that petite women are photographers too, by golly!
    From another glow in the dark white skinned redhead, I can understand the wanting to not expose yourself. I made one our of denium. I looked at all the fancy ones, and knowing what I am like, I went to the frabric store and bought some denium and a pattern. All I did was make pockets to go on the outside where I wanted them to be. Like Jeanette I am a bit of a substantial person (quiet all of you who personally know me!) I especially did not want anything more up top.

Like Ed said a local sports store that has a lot of fly fishing gear is great. The little pin retractable fly fishing things are great to clip on the vest near a pocket. You can hook you light meter to it, and it won't hit the ground if you are fumbling around. If you use a viewing filter it is another thing you can hook up and not worry it will hit the ground or get lost. I also hooked up my focusing scope to one.

JUST if you do like I did and make one, please get preshrunk fabric. I now have to shrink myself to fit that great vest I made.
    Non Digital Diva

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin