Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,972   Posts: 1,558,677   Online: 960

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Photographic Equipment Insurance

I have some questions about buying insurance for photographic equipment.

- Are the insurance companies country-specific? Would I need to look for a greek company or any in the EU could do?
    - Are the programs international? So I can take my equipment anywhere in the world and not worry about?
    - How do travelling photojournalists insure their equipment?
    - I need insurance for a studio which is simple but also for equipment to take out in the field. Can the ensure it? Would it be piece-by-piece or do the insure the whole let's say bag from theft and damage?
    - What should I look for and be careful of?
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi Ari,

When I was working in the UK, I used a company called E&L, they had great prices and took about 1 week to send me the replacement cost for one of my lenses that got dropped while working.

They have a website located at http://www.eandl.org.uk

Their Phone number is 08704 022 344

I don't know if they extend to the other countries in the EU, but may be worth a look.

Dave

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    How about in the US? I will be going to Oaxaca and was considering the same.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by david b
    How about in the US? I will be going to Oaxaca and was considering the same.
    I was considering insurance for my photography equipment and then I realized that all of my equipment is near 50 years old or only worth <$35
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I had insurance for my underwater gear once--back when I used to dive (I still plan to get back into it!).

That said, I flooded my camera in Micronesia. No problems getting the insurance coverage once I got back. Didn't replace my camera on the trip, though.

I don't know what they thought when two people named "Carey" (me and my brother) both put in claims the same week. We both did the same stupid mistake, which was my fault.

Matt

Datchet, Berkshire UK- about 20 miles west of London
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    If you make professional use of your photo equipment it is probably best if you have specific insurance. If your photography is amateur the simplest and much the cheapest way is to extend your household insurance.

If you want specific photo insurance I'd look first for a Greek insurer or a multinational with a Greek office. Even though many of the major insurance companies are multinationals they still tend to operate on a national basis, and in many cases the companies offering photographic equipment insurance are far too small to operate internationally.

I'm sure you will be able to buy a policy that enables you to have cover overseas. At least you can in the UK. The cost of the policy may well vary with where you want to have cover and how much time you spend overseas.

If photojournalists are freelance they will arrange their own insurance as I'm describing. If employed their employer will do it , often as part of a comprehensive business policy which includes cover for employees whilst on company business anywhere.

Some companies offer cover for a total sum insured but most in my experience want a list of what you wish to have covered. It varies.

You should be wary of:-

a) High minimum sum insured /minimum price.

b) The possibility of high excesses being levied if you claim. This is a favourite trick which keeps prices down and gives an often mistaken impression of good value.

c) Restrictive clauses which disallow or place a limit on certain types of loss. Look out in particular for restrictions on claims for theft from an unattended vehicle- especially at night. My own policy does not cover me for theft from a car after 9pm- but then I'm nearly always in a hotel by then. Another favourite is to place a high excess/limit on claims for loss of unattended baggage or where there are no obvious signs of theft. All companies vary on these dimensions. It is worth reading a policy carefully before you sign up.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I actually have an appointment with my insurance agency soon to get insurance on my equipement. He said depending on the type of coverage and such that it'll range from 35-50 bucks a year. though i'm not sure this helps, since i'm in the US.
    --Ryan

"The negative is the equivalent of the composer's score, and the print the performance." ~Ansel Adams

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I had insurance on my MF gear some years back - insured for "replacement cost" (i.e.new) with a local insurance agency. It was fairly expensive, but when my "travel pack" had a new price of about USD 9000.-, I considered it worth it since I was bringing it to Africa onboard a Tupolev...
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin