Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,872   Posts: 1,520,112   Online: 875

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shmoo
    Oh man, you're at the beach...3 beer cans...empty them (one way or another) then jam them on the tripod legs (kidding...sorta'). Oh yeah, you can use folded newspaper, bean bags, and paper plates as well. And to keep sand out? 3 ziploc bags and rubber bands.

This is a fun thread for a change..I wonder how creative we can get?

S
    Three crabs-pay them(in whatever food they want that day)to each hold a leg
    in their claws.The crabs are not only waterproof-but mobile-as long as you can get them to work together they can move your tripod as much or as lttle as you need and can even move further in the sand if they need to stabilize the tripod.Another plus-you're only renting them for the service-one less thing
    to pack up when you're done for the day

Jim
    "An object never performs the same function as its name or its image"-Rene Magritte

"An image of a dog does not bite"-William James applied to photography

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hmmm....let's see...At the beach huh?
    Well, seems to me there might be seashells...find three halves and use 'em, then leave 'em. Or driftwood or whatever. Nothing extra to carry.
    Matt's Photo Site
    "I invent nothing, I rediscover". Auguste Rodin

Shooter
    Multi Format

I'm sure I left a tripod here somewhere....

[QUOTE=eric]I'm a city guy now living....

I dont bother to try and keep my tripod legs above the sand, like many other here I sink them in, I usually find this creates a greater degree of stability as the suction of the sand holds the legs in place. On top of this once I had a mad dog, unleashed by his mad Englishman, run right into my tripod whilst chasing something toward the sea. It hit one of my tripod legs and had they been resting on the surface no doubt my gear would have been in the drink along with a dead dog. Fortunatly although the clash caused a wobble it remained upright and my premature heart attack was avoided!

I live near the beach too...quite a few of them...wonderful places when its raining, windy and freezing!!

Paul Berry

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have also made my own special feet for the Manfrotto 0550Pro tripod:
    Glue disposable plastic "party" dishes together to make them firm and then glue soda bottle caps on them to make fittings for the legs.
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    No real advice here except I encountered the following situation:

(i work at a camera store) I got a phone call one day. "ummm do you repair cameras?" I replied that we did so she said she'd come in. The next day a lady comes in with a plastic bag and asked if someone could help her with her camera. She pulls out a hassy 501(? i think) and its got sand all over it. At first i'm thinking oh man shes screwed... then i take the film back off... sand pours out...

lets just say she wasn't happy to find out her camera required a miracle.

Always remember ladies and gents... sand can be bad for your cameras health!
    --Ryan

"The negative is the equivalent of the composer's score, and the print the performance." ~Ansel Adams

Shooter
    Multi Format

Beer Cans

Quote Originally Posted by Shmoo
    Oh man, you're at the beach...3 beer cans...empty them (one way or another) then jam them on the tripod legs (kidding...sorta'). Oh yeah, you can use folded newspaper, bean bags, and paper plates as well. And to keep sand out? 3 ziploc bags and rubber bands.

This is a fun thread for a change..I wonder how creative we can get?

S

Hey Shmoo,

Sounds like a nice beech, over here when you're on the beech, it's a case of thermal undies, thermal suit, hot water bottle, polar bear repellent and if it's drinkable it better be steaming hot!

Next time you're out for a shoot on the beech think of me?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PB001
    Hey Shmoo,
    ...it's a case of thermal undies, thermal suit, hot water bottle, polar bear repellent and if it's drinkable it better be steaming hot!
    Sounds like your shooting with Ole ! Are you sure your still in England?

Anyone have suggetions for tripods in fast moving water? I got some nice pics of vibrations.

Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Eric,

I shoot often in the Florida Keys and not only can the sand be a problem but also the accumulation of salt, and salty mud especially in Mangroves when tide is out.

I use a 3, 12 - 15 inch pieces of PVC pipe 1.5-2.5 inches, for each leg and just slip the leg inside. You can just cap it, or if the problem is mainly the sinking put a tee on the bottom. and extend each of those arms out 4 or 5 inches that usually does it, an additiona tee can be put on those two bottom feet arms , forming an H. All can be pulled apart and put in small draw string garbage container bag.
    If you wand to leave the PVC legs on the tripod, just drill a whole in the top ov the P V C leg and tie to tripod.

One more little trick I use in the desert, If I feel my tripod is not stable enough, due to being too light or the wind etc..I always have several of the plastic grocery bags you carry out at the grocery store. I fill them with a good rock or two and pull them taunt with a small bungee I have wrapped around the tripod, Usually one bag centered beneath the tripod does the trick.

Dave in Vegas

Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Oh,

If you use the H pattern, you can use either 45 degree or 90 degree connectors for the bottom feet to keep the H or T on horizontal etc.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Wooten
    Eric,
    I use a 3, 12 - 15 inch pieces of PVC pipe 1.5-2.5 inches, for each leg and just slip the leg inside. You can just cap it, or if the problem is mainly the sinking put a tee on the bottom. and extend each of those arms out 4 or 5 inches that usually does it, an additiona tee can be put on those two bottom feet arms , forming an H. All can be pulled apart and put in small draw string garbage container bag.
    If you wand to leave the PVC legs on the tripod, just drill a whole in the top ov the P V C leg and tie to tripod.
    Dave in Vegas
    Being female and not particularly prone to going into the plumbing section of the local hardware store, I have recently discovered the wonders of PVC pipe!!! It's like advanced tinkertoys! I'm going to have to try this with a "T" joint. Very clever and light weight...

Oh yeah, and I keep an "S" hook or one of those metal hiking clips hooked on the loop on my Bogen...then hook my camera bag or backpack on it to weight it down...works well for stability.

S

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin