Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,663   Posts: 1,481,645   Online: 855

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

My Indecision On Film Scanners

Okay, I'm buying one with some tax money... I shoot the occasional wedding and portraits, I need to be able to provide digital proofs and maybe print some 4x6's... Archival and images to post as well as for my website...

I was convinced I was going to buy a Nikon Coolscan V... Thinking a dedicated 35mm would be the way to go. Also heard the they get a better quality scan from this type instead of a flatbed type...

I was also convinced that I would later want an Epson Perfection 4870 (now they have the newer model 4990) for medium format and print scanning.. As well as the ability to make digital contact sheets....

My question is, if I were to only get one, right now, what should I get?? Could I be happy with JUST the flatbed?? Can I get good enough 35mm scans from the flatbed?

What are the pros and cons of both??

Thanks guys.
    Last edited by Bighead; 04-14-2005 at 03:36 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: worded incorrectly the title

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have owned various scanners over the years, including drums and flatbeds, I have not found a flatbed that will give you the quality of a dedicated 35mm film scanner yet, for my dollars I would get a 35mm dedicated scanner, then also pick up one of the flatbeds designed with the light lid for your medium format stuff, I have a microtek flatbed, that I got a couple of years ago, with the light lid and it works good for 120/220 and 4x5, but is terrible with 35mm.

I have heard the new Epsons are pretty good, but I think you will find that you will still be happier with a dedicated film scanner.

Just my experiance and opinions, I am sure others have various ideas.

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just get a nikon coolscan 9000 and be happy lol

actually, i'm not an authority on this subject but i think the coolscan V is a nice piece of hardware.
    --Ryan

"The negative is the equivalent of the composer's score, and the print the performance." ~Ansel Adams

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by panchromatic
    Just get a nikon coolscan 9000 and be happy lol
    Yeah, good idea!!!!

The Nikon V is great... I have used one at school. I just want my cake and eat it too.. I also don't want to make the cake, or pay much money for it and I want someone else to do the dishes...

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    There are several Howtek drum scanners on ebay at this moment. I bought a D4000 last year to replace an Epson 4870. The quality difference is stagering, especially for 35mm and medium format. I paid $700 including the computer. Many will say this is overkill, but why waste your time with a crappy CCD scanner when you can get a drum for not much more?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by L Gebhardt
    There are several Howtek drum scanners on ebay at this moment. I bought a D4000 last year to replace an Epson 4870. The quality difference is stagering, especially for 35mm and medium format. I paid $700 including the computer. Many will say this is overkill, but why waste your time with a crappy CCD scanner when you can get a drum for not much more?
    Sounds like a great idea, but I know nothing about these things... Have any links to discribe??

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I'm looking at the Epson 4990 as well. I've been told its a very nice scanner of the money and this came from a photographer who's work I admire and trust his judgement. He's been working color scanning for many years.
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit"
    Aristotle

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bighead
    Sounds like a great idea, but I know nothing about these things... Have any links to discribe??
    The best resource is the Yahoo ScanHi-End group. Despite what people will tell you they are not that difficult to operate. The hardest part is wet mounting the film, but a few practice tries and I had it down where I don't have air bubbles 75% of the time. Just make sure you get the software and dongle (they all seem to use dongles) or you will need to shell out $700 to $1500 for a software package.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Only one of the Howteks looks in good condition with everything you need, and it's already $600. If it needs repairs, the costs will escalate exponentially. I know, as I recently bought an Agfa Duoscan T2500, a large pre-press scanner that cost $4000 a few years ago. While it scans slides fairly well, it bands severely with bw negatives, which are what I mainly need to scan. Repair estimates for the machine are several times what I paid, and they can't guarantee that all the issues will be fixed. So buying used professional equipment can be a great buy, or it can be a waste of money.

-Peter
    www.desmidt.net

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by L Gebhardt
    DAGNABIT, L, now I want one! I didn't think I had anything I needed to buy on eBay, and now you've gone and given me something else to lust after...

Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt
    Only one of the Howteks looks in good condition with everything you need, and it's already $600. If it needs repairs, the costs will escalate exponentially. I know, as I recently bought an Agfa Duoscan T2500, a large pre-press scanner that cost $4000 a few years ago. While it scans slides fairly well, it bands severely with bw negatives, which are what I mainly need to scan. Repair estimates for the machine are several times what I paid, and they can't guarantee that all the issues will be fixed. So buying used professional equipment can be a great buy, or it can be a waste of money.
    Whew! Thanks Peter! You stopped me before I spent again!

-chuck

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin