Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,898   Posts: 1,584,374   Online: 732

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy K
    Here's a shot from my last spider shoot...
    Yikes.. He/she does not look happy. Lucky there's some glass between you and it. I have a spider hole in my back yard that *might* contain one of the deadly varieties. But as I have a real aversion to killing them for no reason, I am trying very hard to catch it out of it's tunnel so that I can positively ID it. Until then I am just keeing my two boys away from it as best I can. Been a cat and mouse game for maybe 3 months now.

Score so far:
    Glenn 0
    Spider dozens...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian
    glennsyd & andy k. i keep my distance from spiders
    i was bitten by one at a beach on the rocks the summer of 1990, and
    was not a happy-camper for about 6 months. neuro-toxins are NOT fun
    I hear you on that score.

We have a spider here called a white tail. Small, lives in and around houses, often near window sills. Relatively harmless except for the 20 or 30% of them that are infected with a virus.

If you get bitten by one that has the virus, it starts a necrotising process in the bite area. Basically all the flesh starts to rot and die as it necrotises. (Sorry if the words are not perfect science speak)

The cure usually is to excise (cut out) all the dead flesh and some of the surrounding flesh as well. Very unpleaseant. Those one I do kill on sight in the house....

http://www.avru.unimelb.edu.au/avruweb/wtspage.htm
    http://www.amonline.net.au/factsheet...led_spider.htm
    http://www.mydr.com.au/default.asp?article=4051

Glenn

Shooter
    Large Format
    i hear you loud and clear glenn

i realized i was bitten the day after drinking a little red stripe and talking about dadaism with a friend across from electric boat (general dynamics - i think it was in noank ct.) --- within a week, i was sleepy all the time, and on one side of my torso (the side i was bitten) my lymphnodes were kind of tender / raised. i had to eat/drink everything "luke warm" cause i couldn't deal with hot or cold. then i went to grad school and lived for several months with ... umm i'll just refer to him as "the dark prince". i was eating mass quantities of food and just the same i lost close to 35 + lbs ( 1/4 my body weight ) - i weighed 137 and dipped to 98 or so .... the weight loss could have been the stress of living with someone who would check the doorknob to make sure it was still locked all night long ( every 45 mins like clockwork ), and then vacuum the apartment at 4-5am from time to time, or just the fact that i was overloaded with coursework, and that semester i had 3 30page papers, and 2 long oral presentations due all at the same time ... but i think it had to do with the bite too.

i didn't have necrosis, or problems like that, and like magic it all cleared up in about 6 months - a few months after i moved out of belzabub's apartment. yeah, spiders still kind of give me the willies.
    Last edited by jnanian; 04-16-2005 at 05:44 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian
    hi mark

the stuff i do when i am " trapped " in the house with the 3 kids is the same sort of thing i do when i have " photographer's block ". at least for me, it doesn't matter how i set up the shot, or what film i use, or anything at all. i just take a random shot - maybe push film that is supposed to be shot at 100 asa to 1600, maybe soup it in dektol, doesn't really matter.

glennsyd & andy k. i keep my distance from spiders
    i was bitten by one at a beach on the rocks the summer of 1990, and
    was not a happy-camper for about 6 months. neuro-toxins are NOT fun
    I can't set up a shot in the house when the kid is about. He becomes art director moves things around and looks through the lens and if I have the flash out he is like a moth and he figured out which button to push to fire the thing. Once that happened there was no hope. Having an over curious 3 year old in the house is quite the challenge.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Spiders...one morning, on the way to work, I took the "back road" (Calaveras Rd.) to avoid traffic on the southbound 680. Saw a spider on the road so big, I had to stop and wait for it to cross...no joke! I was afraid that I might slide off the road if I ran it over...and jeez, if I didn't run it over, it might jump up onto my car...yikes!
    Last edited by GaussianNoise; 04-18-2005 at 12:00 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hmm, what do I photograph when I don't get out? As most of you already know, my DD and DS! But lately I've been inspired to pick up a paintbrush again after a 10 year break, especially after seeing Matt's (Scooter) paintings on his website. He's quite a painter! Oh, I'd also like to start a few monthly projects in B&W photography on the body form (looking for volunteers ) this winter (Australia is coming into winter/wet season now).

My main problem is, my house is very small and I'd love a darkroom and a photography studio and a painting studio! DH is not impressed. Looks like I'm going to have to rent an old warehouse and hide out there 'indoors'. Oooh, I'm getting all excited just at the thought of it. Hmmm, dream on dreamer....

Great thread - I don't like spiders!!!

roy
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeg
    Scary
    I buy the wife some flowers and then after giving them to her I "borrow" them and take them up to my study/darkroom/studio. It worked wonderfully the first few times, now she's getting suspicious -- "are those really for me or are they for your photography?"
    Mike
    That is my style too. Unfortunately, because I have also had surgery, I have not been able to get out and buy the flowers so my photography has taken a back seat.
    Roy Groombridge.

Cogito, ergo sum.
    (Descartes)

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I have heard of photography challenges called the 100' challenge. Seminar participants are assigned the task of bring to class a photo of any subject they choose as long as it is shot within 100' of their bedroom. It would be interesting to set up an Apug 100' challenge.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi there,

There's loads of stuff you can photograph when you're stuck indoors, bog standard objects can take on seriously interesting charateristics when photographs close up and from angles they're not normally seen from. What about close ups of patterns, textures, hands, feet, small objects. Still lifes are interesting too with a bit of ingenious forethought. Or even time-lapse stuff out your window through the day, or through the seasons. Say, all the different people who walk past your window during the day?

Even with tungsten balance film you could work minor miracles, glass ornaments up real close so you can't see what they are without a bit of thinking, their reflections with different coloured reflectors, silver, gold, white, black etc.

If you've got a pet, stick a small back drop up somewhere a couple of lights some patience and a enquisitive four legged critter will pay dividends if you're waiting for them to look good rather than chasing them round the house.

Photography is in the head, anything can be photographed, it just depends on how its done, after all advertisers have been photographing rubbish for years and we still go out and buy it?

Paul Berry

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's amazing how much time I have to spend with a copy stand.

David.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin