Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,485   Posts: 1,571,301   Online: 794

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

what do you photograph when you can't get out ?

i know a lot of people here photograph landscapes, and there are some that make portraits, but what do you do ( besides make prints + process film) when you are stuck at home?

do you have a favorite subject you like to shoot:

chase the kids around the house with a camera?
    make still lifes?
    photograph ordinary things?
    photograph your dinner or a snack?

lately i've been stuck indoors and i've been trying to re-see things i take for granted - food, drinks, "stuff" that's so ordinary i just don't really think about it. i'm not a stickler as to what format, film &c

what do yous do?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Lately I've been trying to make still lifes (lives?) with my "new" 4X5. Mainly to get used to the camera. At least I tell myself that because the still whatevers turned out to be very boring.
    If I had been present at the creation, I would have given some useful hints for the better arrangement of the Universe.
    Alfonso the Wise, 1221-1284

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Some of my favorite shots have been made just out my back door. I have an old '39 Mercury wheel with stainless wheelcover that has been photographed a dozen times. One time it appeared as a flying saucer in a massive wall of lightning picture. That oil drum pump and the antique lenses in my gallery were done at home. It helps if you're a junk collector in the first place.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I sort of fell into that "I need to go somewhere to make pictures". I haven't been going much lately - too busy.

Anyway, between seeing some of Lee's (Ft. Worth) prints last week, and revisiting my Aaron Siskind books; I've decided that the peeling paint on my neighbor's garage just might merit a project.

I've also toyed with the idea of doing a series of macros on individual leaves. I live in a heavily wooded area (for Dallas, anyway) and raw material is abundant all year round.

Who knows ...

Cheers y'all!

David

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Haven't done it yet, but there are times we light coming in a window, or the clothes hamper (white wicker against a white wall), wishing one of the cats would sit still long enough to figure out how to expose, and door knobs...love door knobs, but the ones we have aren't that interesting, but old door knobs are so cool....need to start shooting and just forget about all the exposure stuff for a while.
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    Multi Format
    normally, I take pictures of my golden retrievers, they always make good models, when I can't get out and about..

Dave

Shooter
    Large Format
    Hey John,

Kitchen tools are always a great distraction for me. Years ago I recall meeting Jan Groover and seeing her great still-lives shot in her kitchen. Beautiful pt/pd prints too. Of course, when wife or friend is willing to sit, all the better. I tried making a tintype of my cat the other day, but that didn't work for obvious reasons. I was left with a worn-out broom...

jason

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    For inspiration, check out Lee Friedlander's "Stems" (made when he was ill and couldn't get around) and Andre Kertesz' late SX-70's....

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    "The view from the artist's window" gambit is a good one for me. Still life. Food that I'm cooking. My wife.

Check out Abelardo Morrell. He started photographing ordinary objects around the house when his wife was working and he had to stay home and watch the kids. His photograph of a paper shopping bag is one of my favorites.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I recently moved. My prior flat had a wonderful studio. I would go up and shoot...
    a chair
    my wife in the chair
    flowers
    or I would set up still lifes and play with the arrangments of objects. For me I liked to set-up a display that was attractive and included similar things or things that belonged and then try to insert a screw or two (things that didn't quite or really really didn't belong). I don't have any of those scanned.

Often I would use these times to test film. Pushing or pulling film in high and low contrast settings (that is what most of my chair pictures are) or multiple exposures or different light set-ups.

Lately I've been couped up in the house working and haven't had any time to shoot. My darkroom is a week or two away and the studio is probably a week or two further out. I have been keeping notes, paper and cerebral on what i will be shooting once the chance arrives.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin