Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,724   Posts: 1,515,024   Online: 1207

Thread: Lens Fungus

Shooter
    Multi Format

Lens Fungus

Basic question: is lens fungus any one particular species, such as has been observed for contact lenses, or is it a variety of opportunistic fungi? I'm curious as to whether etching the glass is a byproduct, or whether it's actually solubilizing the silica for its own purposes.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Hmmmm....Excellent question.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Fparnold,
    I'm not entirely sure the fungus actually etches the glass or the coatings of cement used to assemble the groups. Over the years I've cleaned quite a bit of fungus from lenses & have not seen etched glass. I have had to recement a couple of pieces & it's kind of a pita. I have also removed internal coatings to get rid of the stuff with no complaints.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Having seen lichen growing on quartz crystals, nothing really surprises me where fungi are involved. If a lichen (which is a sumbiosis between a fungus and an alga) can etch quartz...
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin