Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,962   Posts: 1,523,138   Online: 990

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Amvona.com Tripods?

Hey ya'll,

I am looking to buy a sturdy tripod. I am looking at a Bogen 3021 w/ a ball/grip action head (322RC2 grip, maybe)

Anyhow, I am exploring my options. A friend recommended buying a tripod from Amvona.com. Has anyone purchased equipment from this company? Any good? I am looking at their AT-6703 professional tripod, comparable to the Bogen 3021, but a hundred bucks less. Plus, you can pull out the center column and use it as a monopod. Is Amvona.com quality? Just trying to get some more info before I make a purchase.

You can check out their tripods at
    http://www.amvona.com/v7/shop/?page=...8b66d5d8831a53

Other equipment is at www.amvona.com

Let me know your 2 cents. Thanks.

Huram

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Are the specs on the website right? It weighs 9 lbs but only holds 13lbs?

It doesn't seem that cheap to me. For less money you could get the one I bought.

http://www.adorama.com/GTMT9180.html

The Giottos website is down but that gives you the basic specs.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    i have not purchased any equipment ( lighting, boom or tripods ) from amvona, but saw some of them when i visited the company in dedham, ma a few months ago. it looked like nice stuff, but i don't really know how rugged it is. ... i *know* my tiltall or my wood tripod/bogen head can take a beating cause i have been using them for 10 or 20 years ... but i don't know anyone who has anything made by amvona, or put their amvona equipment through the test of time.

some of the "reviews" may be telling. some folks buy the equipment thinking it is up to the task of taking a beating, but it falls short of the mark. i know when i was thinking of buying a "extra large soft box" from them, they were unable to confirm whether or not my speed ring would support their softbox, and if i had purchased it, and sent it back, there would be a restocking fee &C &C ... so i didn't bother.

while their stuff may seem like a deal, it may end up costing you $$ in end ( replacement cost, or not being able to hold your equipment )

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Zentena
    Are the specs on the website right? It weighs 9 lbs but only holds 13lbs?

It doesn't seem that cheap to me. For less money you could get the one I bought.

http://www.adorama.com/GTMT9180.html

The Giottos website is down but that gives you the basic specs.
    Except that the Amvona includes a head at $179, the Giottos are the legs only.

I have found that the grip action heads don't hold well enough for my taste with my Mamiya 645. I do suggest you at least check if the Bogen is even heavy duty enough for you. As for the Amvona, I don't know, but I would have concerns with putting that kind of money out not having the opportunity to test it first.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This guy is a pretty highly rated ebay seller with over 17,000 positive feedbacks, I purchased a flash braket from him like the Strobo frame and have been very happy with it.

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZamvonaQ2ecom

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Sorensen
    Except that the Amvona includes a head at $179, the Giottos are the legs only.
    I know the Adorama link claims no head but the tripod actually includes a built in head. No quick release so that was enough for me to mount a head. For a 35mm it wouldn't be too hard to just screw the camera onto the built in head. With a MF with a waist level the built in is likely more then good enough. So the tripod is actually use able without adding a head. It would be a pain trying to mount a big LF camera without the quick release.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have purchased a few studio items from them including reflectors, clamps and a heavy duty light stand.
    So far all is well. Shipping is a bit of a pain and my last order was "lost" in their system.
    But I do think I got my money's worth.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    If buying from these guys, do so on ebay. If you keep your patience you can walk away with a tripod for only $65 - $80. I usually take the retail price - shipping = maximum bid.
    Money is not the problem. The problem is, I don't have any.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I can't speak for these particular items, but previous purchases of tripods has taught me one thing: buy quality. Previous cheap tripods fell apart within months. My Manfrotto has lasted and when I busted a leg clamp lever I got a new one from Manfrotto by return post, so consider spares availability too.

Bob.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    H,

While I can't speak to the quality of the camera tripods, I do have one of their backdrop stands. They are ok. I have a Bogen 3221 tripod and although I wouldn't backpack with it, I like it very much and i got mine on ebay for about $125 without the head. Hope this helps.

G

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin