Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,840   Posts: 1,582,520   Online: 965

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Images
    Good Afternoon,

I'm hopelessly old-fashioned also. Within the past couple of years I have purchased a couple of Olympus OM2000 bodies which come in handy for my Zuiko lenses whenever I occasionally use 35mm. I imagine that the average age of my MF and LF stuff is around 20 years if not more.

Konical

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Shively
    It occurred to me recently that I have only out-of-date photo equipment.
    It occurred to me last year that I had exactly the same problem, so I bought a couple of new bodies and lenses for the first time since the early 80's. I got Cosina Voigtlander manual mechanical rangefinder bodies and a couple of their Leica screw mount lenses. So now I feel like I'm on the cutting edge, using pre-focus, which is even faster than autofocus, and I have cameras that do exactly what I tell them to. I think they call that non-artificial intelligence. I can even set the film speed to my own tested EI. They will also take pictures without batteries. How do they do that? The wonders of new technology will never cease.

Oh, yeah, I probably shouldn't mention it on this site, but in conjunction with my 5 year old film scanner and some chemistry, they're all 11 megapixel full frame digitals, just like my Canonet QL17.

I also bought an Agfa Isolette I (50 year old 6x6 folder) for $7.00 a couple of months ago and had Jurgen Kreckel put on a new bellows and do a CLA, so I haven't lost my head entirely with all the new fancy stuff.

Lee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My newest camera is my Orbit 8x10 made in February, 1980. That was the same month as "The Miracle on Ice."
    juan

13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K1P0
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Well.....I don;t know how old my Calumet 4x5 is, but I'm guessing 35-40 years? The Agfa Ansco 8x10 that I just bought is about 1935 - 1940 I think, and I'm sure that none of my lenses are newer than 1970, so that would put my equipment on average at about 50 years old.
    But then, what do expect from a guy whose radio for daily use in the garage is a 1944 ex "lend-lease" RCA AR88 military set and whose kitchen radio is a 1940's Stromberg Carlson 6-tube bakelite set.

cheers

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Out-of-date???

All my equipment is top-of-the-range, please!

All right then, top-of-the-range in 1934...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN0405.jpg   DSCN0410.jpg  
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What can I say, I though "Out-of-date equipment, anyone?" was an offer to sell or trade equipment. I quickly opened the thread.

I just can't justify the price of new equipment. I am finding that the small Ektars have a big bonus in portabilty over the new view camera lenses. I find that no one takes my canonet seriously, and I have taken a number of my favorite images with it (unfortunately, my wife now knows the secret).

Whenever I use my N90, my most modern tool, I find I really love it. There is something great about the N90 and the 80-200 f2.8. However, my FE and the E-series 100mm 2.8 is a ton smaller and a ton lighter, and does a great job.

On a recent excursion, I noted to myself that I probably would have done better with a 35mm camera. I could have bracketed, shot multiple images, switched from long to wide lenses quickly, used the in-camera metering...but I had a physical joy in using my 50 year old Burke and James Press.

Matt

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I should add that I have a modern camera too (beside the digitoy I used for the pictures above) - a Cosina/Voigtländer Bessa-L with a great little 21mm f:4 Color Skopar. The camera is already out of production, but I believe the lens is still made. But as a wholly mechanical non-rangefinder non-autofocus non-zoom non-slr point-and-shoot it was perhaps out-of-date by design?
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole
    I should add that I have a modern camera too (beside the digitoy I used for the pictures above) - a Cosina/Voigtländer Bessa-L with a great little 21mm f:4 Color Skopar...
    Hey Ole! I also have a similar one (Bessa-T with 21mm f:4 Color Skopar). Does that qualify me for neo-Luddite status?
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I have only one camera that is still in current production, a Nikon FM3a that I bought "brand new" a few years ago. It is only the second "brand new" camera in my entire life - the other is a Pentax KX I bought in 1977. My oldest 35mm body is probably a Pentax H1a from the late 1960's and the oldest working camera I have is a crown graphic that probably dates from about 1955 or so.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Narrrr none of my gear is out-of-date, even those from the 50's - But the nut that holds them is :o

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin