Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,573   Posts: 1,545,672   Online: 891

Thread: Epson 4990

Shooter
    Medium Format

Epson 4990

Thinking about purchasing an Epson 4990 scanner. Any comments pro or con?
    All are important and will help me decide.

Thanks

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I don't know, I guess it depends on what size neg/slide you are planning to scan. I've read elsewhere that it's better with the large sizes, i.e. 4x5 and 8x10. I don't recall how 120 film did in the tests.
    Diane

Halak 41

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I bought the 4870 just before the 4990 hit the American market (and got it for a song). It does a great job on 120 & 4x5 film. Certainly good enough for most uses and anything that requires drum scanning can be outsourced. It works just peachy for 35mm minimal enlargements (snap shot prints) too. So I would imagine that the newer model will do just as good a job or better but for my coin, the 4870 won.

Good luck in your choice

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks..all. I have the 3170 that I use for scanning mostly 35 and 120mm. I lke the firewire interface that is offered.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The 4990 comes in two models, the PRO and PHOTO. Get the PRO. This comes with the Monaco EZ Color calibrationn software and an IT8 target. This makes all the difference.

Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gr82bart
    The 4990 comes in two models, the PRO and PHOTO. Get the PRO. This comes with the Monaco EZ Color calibrationn software and an IT8 target. This makes all the difference.

Art.
    I second Art on the color calibration software. But (in Europe) the 4870 also came with a bundle, a Gretag MacBeth. Not bad. We bought the 4870 when it was just out (and still expensive), but are extremely happy with it. Saves us lots of time and cost. We got a used (cheap) Monaco screen calibrator later. So no IT8 target, but we don't miss it, really. Perhaps you can find a good deal on the older 4870 + Gretag bundle...

One drawback of the older 4870 is the fact that the 120 film trannies are impractical, but for a few dollars you can buy an improved version from what's his name, Doug maybe? - which allows you to mount the 120 lengthwise - saves scanning time.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Roger that!...Thanks

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin