Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,616   Online: 672

Shooter
    Medium Format

Anyone Heard of these Battery Packs??

http://www.aljacobs.com/Packmodone.htm

I started a thread about Quantums, and such... Someone had posted this link and asked if anyone had heard of this persons custom battery packs... I had read his site and thought these sounded interesting...

Anyone ever use or read any critiques??

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hmm... 71 "views" and no replies.. Maybe I need to be a Guinea Pig.....
    Last edited by Bighead; 06-07-2005 at 03:03 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: correct error

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My interest wasn't just the complete unit but the trick of using a battery insert connected to an exterior battery. 6V sealed lead acid batteries are fairly cheap. If it's really possible to replace the 4 AA batteries with any 6V battery then it's possible to put together a powerfull cheap system. Downside is the big battery would be heavy.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    You mean the "fake battery" thing that would go into the AA compartment of the flash?? Hmm... I don't know... Unfortunately, I am a battery pack virgin. I have nothing to compare too... I need some sort of pack and I liked the idea of these because he boasted a lot of power and little frills... Hooked to my belt, I would probably not even be aware of the weight.... Its not grossley expensive... He seems to have specialized it for Vivitar 285's, which is what I uae, so, I may try it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ya those fake batteries sound interesting. Need an EE type to figure out if it's possible or not-) If it is then any battery could be used.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Zentena
    My interest wasn't just the complete unit but the trick of using a battery insert connected to an exterior battery. 6V sealed lead acid batteries are fairly cheap. If it's really possible to replace the 4 AA batteries with any 6V battery then it's possible to put together a powerfull cheap system. Downside is the big battery would be heavy.
    I've got such a beast sitting around here for a quantum battery and Vivitar 285/283 flash. Got it with a big pile of crap on eBay once and I haven't had the heart to toss it. Would you like it? You will probably have to clip the plug off and wire it to something, but I can't see why it won't work otherwise.

Paul.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't have a vivitar. I do have a couple of Agfatronics that take 4 AA batteries but I think it's battery compartment is different then the vivitars.

It would be nice if any 6V battery could be used.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Sorensen
    I've got such a beast sitting around here for a quantum battery and Vivitar 285/283 flash. Got it with a big pile of crap on eBay once and I haven't had the heart to toss it. Would you like it? You will probably have to clip the plug off and wire it to something, but I can't see why it won't work otherwise.

Paul.
    I have a setup like this also but it is the old Perma Pak system made by Mamiya with the Vivitar 283 "fake" 4-AA battery holder. It works just fine and is a lot lighter than the lead/acid battery pack for my Metz 60CT4. I haven't heard of these people before but the product looks well built. Mamiya stopped making the Perma Pak system but I'm still using mine until it goes for good.
    Brian McDowell

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin