Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,523   Posts: 1,572,270   Online: 763

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

ANYONE SHOOT CINE 16MM ? just bought a Bolex ;)

I just bought a Bolex 16mm RX4 motion cam

woohoo ! - the frames are so small - but I can do lots of weird and wonderful time effects with it and a intervalometer... (sort of a stepper/sequencer) - or simply use it for a stills cam with a roll film back holding 20000 shots! >>grin<< ah yes - it can do 64fps also, for super slomo motor drive

anyone else into 8mm or 16mm film ? (or even 35 ??)

sorry to blab - just quite looking forward to it

http://www.trademe.co.nz/structure/a...sp?id=28930964
    Last edited by Rock Poper; 06-13-2005 at 05:50 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: http://www.trademe.co.nz/structure/auction_detail.asp?id=28930964

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Buy a book. David Cheshire's The Book of Movie Photography might be what you need.

And work on impulse control.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I tried it for a bit and it got really expensive really fast.

Is Helen B around APUG these days? She's a (cine)film person.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock Poper
    I just bought a Bolex 16mm RX4 motion cam

woohoo ! - the frames are so small - but I can do lots of weird and wonderful time effects with it and a intervalometer... (sort of a stepper/sequencer) - or simply use it for a stills cam with a roll film back holding 20000 shots! >>grin<< ah yes - it can do 64fps also, for super slomo motor drive

anyone else into 8mm or 16mm film ? (or even 35 ??)

sorry to blab - just quite looking forward to it

http://www.trademe.co.nz/structure/a...sp?id=28930964
    Yes, I have a Bolex REX4 and a REX5 with a large number of lenses and a Norris animation motor. The Norris animation motor provides variable shutter speed capability, including programmable sequence exposures and time exposures. A Pentax Spotmeter interface is provided in the Norris digital controller to enable automatic exposure control by varying the shutter speed.

These are very interesting and capable cameras - and potentially a money sink of awesome proportions.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Movies are fun, I just shoot home movies with 8mm and receintly bought an inexpensive 16mm but only for personal use. I am enjoying myself. Just picked up a 16mm projector for $40 so I can't wait to see how my film looks on that.
    Scott Stadler

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thinking of money sinks, he could have bought a Beaulieu.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hoskinson
    Yes, I have a Bolex REX4 and a REX5 with a large number of lenses and a Norris animation motor. The Norris animation motor provides variable shutter speed capability, including programmable sequence exposures and time exposures. A Pentax Spotmeter interface is provided in the Norris digital controller to enable automatic exposure control by varying the shutter speed.

These are very interesting and capable cameras - and potentially a money sink of awesome proportions.
    mine is a rex4 but with the rex5 13x viewfinder - the guy I bought it off has the tobin time lapse motor, which I think shares similar functions with the norris (perhaps less?) - I'm going to borrow it and see a: if I want to spend more on one of my own or b: start designing my own (was thinking a mac powerbook controlled version, make a UI for it etc...)

Money sink yes, but money maker also.

I just bought 3 spotmatic lenses for my old K-1000 (the pentax bayonet/screw adaptor cost more than the three lenses themselves!) - I should search the net and find out, but can I ask exactly how this spotmatic interface works ? you mean it shares the same style controls? or it mates with (heh) a spotmatic somehow ? (intruiged)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm
    Buy a book. David Cheshire's The Book of Movie Photography might be what you need.

And work on impulse control.
    you're right Dan - I need to start buying cool stuff more often

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm
    Thinking of money sinks, he could have bought a Beaulieu.
    Sad but true.

I'm a slow learner in that regard - I have a couple of Beaulieus (16mm, of course) as well.

I'll never forget the Beaulieu shutter that came unglued in the middle of an irreplaceable roll...
    Tom Hoskinson

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock Poper
    ...I just bought 3 spotmatic lenses for my old K-1000 (the pentax bayonet/screw adaptor cost more than the three lenses themselves!) - I should search the net and find out, but can I ask exactly how this spotmatic interface works ? you mean it shares the same style controls? or it mates with (heh) a spotmatic somehow ? (intruiged)
    No, the Tobin (I'm not up to date with current Tobin motors) and Norris controllers are are of a different design. My Norris animation motor uses a stepper motor that is digitally controlled and is programmable.

The Pentax Spotmeter is a separate 1 degree spotmeter (hand held or tripod mounted) that Dan Norris adapted specifically to electrically interface with the Norris digital controller. The Norris Digital Controller controls exposure in the Bolex entirely by controlling the shutter speed. For this purpose, the lens aperture is considered to be fixed.

All of my lenses are prime C mount lenses. With one exception (a T Mount Mirror optic) I do not use any adapted 35mm lenses.

Hope this helps.
    Tom Hoskinson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin