Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,900   Posts: 1,521,090   Online: 990

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Bleaching radiation damage

OK, pointless question time. Some older lenses with radioactive elements have a yellow to brownish cast, apparently from radiation damage creating color centers. OK, sounds reasonable. Supposedly you can bleach the color cast out by exposure to UV. OK, there's evidence for this. My question is: how? How is UV going to fix a color center? If it does anything shouldn't it cause greater damage?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I'm glad you asked. I did my Ph.D. on radiation-induced formation of colour centres (seriously). But I've forgotten most of it. A colour centre forms when radiation above the threshold energy displaces an ion from the lattice, and this vacancy can trap an electron. By exposing to UV, this electron can be removed and the displaced ion could return. But I think you are right, as the light (UV) would have to be the correct wavelength.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The light only needs to have enough energy to "lift the electron up a bit" so that it can "fall back in the right position".

UV generally doesn't have enough energy to damage crystal lattices - you need X-rays for that. But it does have enough energy to "repair" them, or at least enough of them to make a big difference.

There's a thing called "desert amethyst" which is somewhat related; it's brown glass that's turned pale purple through long exposure to UV light. But in that case the colour centers are formed by iron atoms in glass, not radiation-induced damage. The radiation colour is less stable, so it won't take a century in the desert to effect a change.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Always worth remembering that, although it may take a particular wavelength of UV to kick electrons back into place and let ions resettle, sunlight is continuum radiation and as such has *all* UV wavelengths represented, down to whatever value is blocked by the atmosphere. And of course the sun is the most powerful UV source that's convenient for most of us...
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks folks! Somehow I was thinking the anion would eventually diffuse too far away to recover ...

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, it probably will, over a million year time scale -- but it's not going to go far, or fast, in solid glass unless something pretty strong is driving it (like the impact of a fast neutron or fission fragment); with lenses only 50 years old, where the index of the thorium glass hasn't changed enough to bollix up the prescription, the anions won't have moved enough to be a big problem. Wherever the anion lands after the initial event that forms it, is pretty much where it will stay. And since there are electrons throughout the glass, it's pretty easy to redistribute those a bit to match the anion up with *some* electron and then find another one elsewhere -- and so forth, net result being you reduce the overall concentration of color centers and the glass gets clearer again.
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin