Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,741   Posts: 1,515,575   Online: 914

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    ... We certainly have the best flow with the Nikon FM3a, our little precious that is ..... we have other, but our little precious has the best flow for us.

(That is for me and my wife, German but not Hildegard)

Pretty good question actually when you come to think of it. I read through the German leica forum from time to time, there you will find people who love their their M6'es and M7'es, worship their summilux'es, are prepared to go to war unconditionally with anybody having any form of critique on their Leicas, but somewhat dislike the handling of the leica whilst taking pictures..... This compared to their wives digital thingies....

I'me sure "best-flow" and best overall cameras are two different things all together. And is it that using a "best flow" camera brings out the best shots, because of the ease and general acceptance of the flow ? ... I think it is, similar with guitars. I have an expensive Gibson (acoustical) and a relatively cheap Alhambra, the Alhambra is like an extension of my body and soul, might not (technocratically) sound as clear as the gibson, but I produce better music on it because of the flow of things .....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My Fuji MF rangefinders... but if I get to play with the Kodak 2D 5x7 more, it just might take over 1st place!

gene
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

Gim

For Flow, my old Nikon FTn. I only take it out on nice days just because I like to push the button.
    Jim

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I never got used to the Bessa II's left-handed orientation, with the shutter trigger on the left side mounted on the door. I tried all different ways of holding it, and it was good in the vertical orientation, but I got a lot of camera shake in the horizontal orientation, so I tended to shoot verticals with that camera.

I recently tried Bob Fowler's Bronica SQA with the rapid wind grip and prism, and that was a really nice handling camera. It was light and felt like a 35mm SLR with the prism and lever wind on the right with a nicely positioned shutter button.

Another one that was always a little awkward to me was the Pentacon 6. I had one for about a year.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Hasselblad. 30 years and still ticking.
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    At one time, I would have said my Nikon F3. When I was shooting regularly, I didn't even need the meter. My eye made a subconscious connection to my fingers and the apeture ring snapped to the right setting without conscious thought.

Now I am shooting the Master Technika. I am lucky to crank out a dozen sheets of film a week and often have long periods of inactivity in between. It has taken a long time to get even mildly comfortable with it - let alone "in the zone." You tend to use the camera you love and you end up loving the camera you use.

Images
    When I shoot with primes, I never hit a flow. It is always "I wonder how that shot would look through this lens or that, I probably have wrong lens on right now", but end up with such nice pictures out of them that I still find it hard to use zooms. It's a comical juggling act of lenses, filters, meters and tripod adjustments.
    It's funny for a shameless small format advocate like me to admit but my best flow is certainly with a 4x5 view. After many years of long days and long weeks doing set up after set up, tying my bellows in knots, I could probably do it in my sleep (and I suspect that I actually have). I still enjoy doing studio still life work but when I go out the door, I have some form of a 35mm.

Gim, I know what you mean. I get a thrill from the distinct, confident sound of my FTn's shutter every time that I hit the button. None of this lightweight vertical, titanium stuff. It's like slamming the the door of a '64 Lincoln Continental, solid as as a rock. Great, great camera. A joy to use.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Easily the Deardorff's. I use the 8X10 the most of any camera. I can set it up in my sleep and my hands are completely disconnected from my brain. I can have it set up and focused faster than my Mamiya 6X9 and while the Nikon is a wonderful system, I haven't touched it in half a decade. I have the baby Deardorff for 4X5 / 5X7 but the 810 gets taken along and used 30:1 over the smaller 'dorff. The design is sheer genius and the best part is the owners were wise enough to leave it alone for 60 years. The Folmer & Schwing 7X17 is a close second. I'm really enjoying that camera.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If a camera doesn't fit my "flow" after 6 months it gets tossed to the curb (eBay).

The keepers so far:
    Holga
    Rolleicord
    Minox 35GT
    Crown Graphic

Up on the chopping block for further testing:
    Nikon F80 (not sure on this one)
    Horizon 202 (only shot with it for 2 days so far, but it feels so great to shoot with!)

What I would like to try out:
    Bessa R3A (I really loved my M3, but wished for aperture priority when needed)
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    It really depends on the frame of mind or what image is on the agenda for that day.
    I mostly use and love Fuji 6x8. It is really a cross pollination of several formats and is quite flexible for responding to the moment.
    For street shooting I use an XPAN. It has pretty much replaced my Hassy 503 and T90's the last couple years.
    For the big gun I use horseman 450 and sometimes a Shen Hao. The SH I got last year because it was lighter and great for travel but it and I are far from comfortable with each other.
    For business I'm primarily Horseman, Fuji 6x8(70% of the time) and Hassy 2 1/4
    Stop trying to get into my mind, There is nothing there!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin