Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,576   Posts: 1,621,962   Online: 1160

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Wista 4x5 field camera.

Waaaay back in high school I started using a 35mm camera on a tripod while hiking. After high school I got a Pentax 6x7 and used that on a tripod as well. When I went South for art school I discovered Ansel, Edward, Imogen, Minor, Brett, and others who's work affected more than photographers working in smaller formats. It was a no-brainer to sell off everything else and get a 4x5, even though I'd never seen a real live one in the flesh before. Since 1982 I've used it for about 98% of my images.

It's the best compromise for me; the image, exposure, and development control of large format while still being light enough to drag around in the bush for days. Of course 8x10 and larger would give better detail...but it would limit me to how far and how long I can go, compared to 4x5.

I love the whole process; finding compelling subject matter - moving slowly around it to find the strongest composition - setting up the gear while thinking about what development I may give it or if any filters may be used - seeing the image on the ground glass for the first time - moving the tripod to tighten things up and make sure there's nothing annoying on the edges - using the swings and tilts to manipulate depth of field and image shape - metering things and wallowing in the many potential combinations until THE ONE presents itself - applying all the factors - exposure. !!

Murray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Murray,

that was a pleasure to read. Thanks for your contribution to this thread. It nearly convinced me to give up medium format and go a little larger - were it not that I dread this fidgeting with loading the film sheets in the film holder, not to mention the prize of them these days. Now if they would/could make 4x5 roll film (again), I'd go for it!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by medform-norm
    ...were it not that I dread this fidgeting with loading the film sheets in the film holder...
    I understand! When I first got it I didn't have a clue what I was doing, so I bracketed my exposures. This meant I had to keep re-loading my six holders in a changing bag, out in the bush, getting eaten by mosquitoes, in the rain, in the snow...

Murray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MurrayMinchin
    I understand! When I first got it I didn't have a clue what I was doing, so I bracketed my exposures. This meant I had to keep re-loading my six holders in a changing bag, out in the bush, getting eaten by mosquitoes, in the rain, in the snow...

Murray
    Okay, I get it - back to the roll film club for us...We have a friend who only does 4x5" like you and after years, that the one thing he's still complaining about.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin