Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,283   Posts: 1,535,022   Online: 1071

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

What is the most archival process for photographic preservation.

I am currently printing Ziatypes. I've read that they can have a pretty long life, something on the order of a Platinum print, (?) but considering the paper, I was wondering what the life could be? Everything seems to deteriorate eventually. If you were to create a picture to have the longest life possible, what would it be? Prerhaps a painting? They seem to stick around for quite a long time. But concerning photography, what is your archival process.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    For what I know, pt/pd on a good quality paper is top. What do you mean, "considering the paper" ? I guess that the papers used for those prints are strong and stable and will not deteriorate in the next 1000 years... unless you store them in a very, very strange place...

Shooter
    Large Format
    As you say it all depends on the paper and how well it was processed. Some pt/pd are yellowing out because they were cleared with Hydrochloric acid and were not properly washed, this was back in the early days of pt/pd. With modern day methods, a pt/pd print will last as long as the paper is intact, the image will not fade or break down. Ziatypes should last just as long, pd is a noble metal and if processed well, it should have the same longevity as a pt/pd print.

Another process that has long life it carbon printing (no, I dont mean ink jet prints), but care most be taken that non contaminated gelatin is used.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    How about a cave drawing? Thousands of years and still going strong.

Photographically, I think Pt/Pd on good rag paper is probably the most archival.

The real question is whether or not the image is worthy of such a long life...
    Two New Projects! Light on China - 07/13/2014

www.joelipkaphoto.com

250+ posts and still blogging! "Postcards from the Creative Journey"

http://blog.joelipkaphoto.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would say the Daguerrotype since you are dealing with metals and no organic support.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Cave drawings might be the best. I did see a travel show last week or so that showed cave drawings in France I believe, that were really old. In that case, how much ARE caves nowdays?

What processes are you guys using? Hypo clearing and selenium?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

BTW

This is an interesting page concerning negative preservation.

http://palimpsest.stanford.edu/byaut...r/negrmcc.html

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Daguerreotypes, no, they are silver on copper. Both are fugitive metals. They may have a little less longevity than that of a silver print.

The Platinotype is bonded to the paper. We have papers over 1500 years. I would say the pt/pd processes are your best bet.
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    www.RobertHall.com/mobile
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hall
    Daguerreotypes, no, they are silver on copper. Both are fugitive metals. They may have a little less longevity than that of a silver print.

The Platinotype is bonded to the paper. We have papers over 1500 years. I would say the pt/pd processes are your best bet.
    The only thing that is going to effect a Daguerreotype is hydrogen sulfide, as it would any silver image even one on paper. But with paper you must also deal with mold, mildew, book worm, silverfish, ...

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hall

How are those 1500 year old papers being stored?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin