Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,506   Posts: 1,543,487   Online: 1045

Thread: f/stops

Shooter
    Large Format

f/stops

Hi.
    Does anyone out there know what "f" stands for in f/stop?
    I saw it once in an obscure book, and can't find it again.
    It's one of the most used terms in photography, but I can't find its derivation again.
    I know it's a French word, but since my French vocabulary was learned from Miss Piggy, I'm stumped.
    Thanks.
    Steven
    Steven Nestler
    http://stevennestler.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I always thought the "f" stood for focal length
    -Grant

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You'll find reference in past postings in the forums. It refers to the optical diameter of the aperture expressed as fraction of the focal length. As in an f/2 50mm lens has an aperture 25mm in diameter, a 100 mm f/2 has a 50mm diameter one. The reason for using this system is both f/2 lenses transmit the same amount of light even though the apertures are different sizes. Keeps life simple for the photog.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    35mm
    F stands for fractional.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    "f" (lower case) is standard for "focal length". "f/stop" indicates an aperture diameter that is "focal length" divided by whatever denominator. With a focal length of 50 mm, the aperture diameter represented by f/2, given a 50mm lens, is 50mm/2, or 25mm.

Note that "f" refers to the actual focal length at the moment, not necessarily at infinity. If a lens is extended to say 75mm for close focusing, the "f/stop" value in the above example changes to 75mm/25 (aperture diameter), or f/3.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by SLNestler
    Hi.
    Does anyone out there know what "f" stands for in f/stop?
    I saw it once in an obscure book, and can't find it again.
    It's one of the most used terms in photography, but I can't find its derivation again.
    I know it's a French word, but since my French vocabulary was learned from Miss Piggy, I'm stumped.
    Thanks.
    Steven
    I like Claire's explanation, but I think the the word you are thinking of is "fenetre" or window (here misspelled 'cause I am not savvy enough to get "^" to appear in the middle of the word). Similarly I was once told that it was derived from the latin word fenestra. ...if death by beheading is decapitation and death by being pitched out a window is defenestration, is the unconcious clipping of heads through poor framing deparallaxation?
    Celac.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I agree with Grant and Ed - f is 'focal length'. The denominator is the diameter of the entrance pupil.

And is a decimetre something that's been dug out of a cemetery?

Best,
    Helen
    PS ê might be Alt+0234?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hmmm...another "f" word

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin