Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,707   Posts: 1,548,517   Online: 856

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Any camera used in a manner that induces people to pay reasonable or larger fees for a photo is a professional camera in fact. If I were a Diana user and people were willing to pay $1000.00 for a machine made RC print how much more professional could I want my camera to be?
    Last edited by Claire Senft; 07-08-2005 at 05:12 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jp80874
    This is the thinking locally at a restoration village and also the county park. The restoration village (Hale Farm) says you can shoot any camera as long as you don't use a tripod. When I have wandered the park with my 4x5 on a tripod several park rangers have asked if I have gotten the permit for $20 an hour.
    Hey, when I was a teenager, Nikon and other camera manufacturers used to have promotional days out at Hale Farm and Village. If I hunt through the old slides, I can probably find some shots I made with an F3 and a 500mm mirror lens that were really the nifty things to have in those days.

The "professional camera" restriction gets applied arbitrarily to any kind of SLR or any big camera in my experience. That usually means you can get in with a Leica or any small rangefinder without a problem.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    "Professional camera" used to mean the photographic equivalent of a hockey puck. It means nothing today.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Shively
    "Professional camera" used to mean the photographic equivalent of a hockey puck. It means nothing today.
    Lee, please explain photographic equivalent of a hockey puck. I have photographic equipment and I have hockey pucks but I've never been able to use them, or heard of them in the same sentence before.

Michael
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I think Lee (great name by the way) has it right.

I went to an estate sale today because the add in the paper said Professional Camera Equipment. there was an assortment of junk and little else and a lot of Polaroid pieces of which none worked. I may go back Sunday and buy all the 120 nikor reels but that is it. So, any camera can be a professional if someone is willing to call it that. To say I was disappointed does not begin to describe how I felt.

lee\c

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I took Lee's analogy to mean a pro camera is like a hockey puck because it'll take a lifetime of being battered but still do what it was designed for?

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy K
    Sorry if this is the wrong forum, didn't think this topic was volatile enough for the lounge!

Ok, I ask the question because I was reading the times and arrangements for an open air Meatloaf concert which my nephew and his mum have gone to this evening.
    I would never want to subject one of my cameras to a Meatloaf concert, and mine would mostly have to be considered professional. (Not behind the camera, mind you, just the cameras themselves) Perhaps this is a kindness that they are extending to photographers everywhere.

See, even this seemingly innocuous thread can become volatile!

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    [COLOR=DarkRed]One of the T+Cs states: No professional cameras, video recorders or any form of audio-visual recording equipment allowed in the event site. [/COLOR]

Strange statement. Truth is unless you can get access to the pit or the stage or side stage, it's hardly worth bothering. If you are really interested in concert photography check out the smaller venues, you can often snap whoever you want.

Anyway reminds me of the photographer who was asked to take some snaps for a formula one team at the British Grand Prix. They wanted stuff around the pits etc..
    He had all his big Nikon gear with as usual. But he decided it would be better working with his little Leica rangefinder, and left the cumbersome stuff back at the hotel. He truned up to the circuit, and try as he might he could not get into the pits, the security people thought he was taking the piss (this was before the days of mobiles). So it was back to the hotel, pick up the big bag and hang a Nikon complete with motorwind etc around his neck.
    Guess what suddenly no problem

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy K
    I took Lee's analogy to mean a pro camera is like a hockey puck because it'll take a lifetime of being battered but still do what it was designed for?
    I have on occasion used "Hockey Puck" to describe non-functioning equipment. In other words, an inert mass.

A digital camera with a dead battery would be one example. My Beaulieu R16 after the shutter prism quietly self destructed is another.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Any camera that needs a tripod (at least in Mexico).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin