Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,683   Posts: 1,548,531   Online: 889

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    It's a marketing term. There's no legal requirement for professional-ness in anything. The "daily use" requirement is probably the best one.

And the Yashica is a good camera, there are a lot of them that have been in regular use since the 70's. Mine, for instance

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    interesting paradox...
    David Burnett has been known to make photos with a Holga. So, I guess a Holga (with appropriate electrical tape in place) is a professional camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I know what you mean Lee, like the Nikon F, a camera you could knock nails in with and still take pictures with afterward.A camera designed to stand up to heavy professional use.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Hmmmm dunno, perhaps a camera that you can drop onto a concrete floor, pick it up and carry on using it. Zenit springs to mind. :P

Surely there's no such thing as a professional camera. How many cameras make a living? My A level lecturer used his mouth and 110 cartridges as pinhole cameras professionally.
    ~John~
    --------------------------
    www.johnbrewerphotography.com
    There are 10 types of people in this world - those who understand binary and those who don't.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    It means if the security guard doesn't like you out it goes. Any SLR or TLR is probably a "no", but what the promoter wrote up and what security has actually been briefed on can be very different. A Contax G is a great camera for this kind of definition--a full-on top quality camera that looks a P&S.

I've been to shows where I've had to tape a lens to my leg to get in (my lenless Zorki in my back pocket looks just like a wallet), but was then able to shoot openly once inside--maybe they thought that since I'd gotten the camera through the door I must have a pass??

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Sorensen
    I would never want to subject one of my cameras to a Meatloaf concert, and mine would mostly have to be considered professional.
    Aww, Meatloaf is tame. Wade into the pit at a punk show sometime... a place I'd ONLY take a professional--or at least hockey puck--camera; cute little plastic things die too easy.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The rule of thumb for most security staff in ireland is, if a camera is the size of your hand and doesnt have a removable lens, its an amateur camera. Everything else is professional.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I asked a friend in Omaha who knows a couple of concert promoters to find out. He said security is to prohibit from entering and allowed to confiscate inside the arena (given back after the show) any camera that has a non-fixed lens and any camera with flash other then what you would find on a point and shoot.
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Krueger
    Aww, Meatloaf is tame. Wade into the pit at a punk show sometime... a place I'd ONLY take a professional--or at least hockey puck--camera; cute little plastic things die too easy.
    It's not that, I just have too much respect for my cameras to subject them to Meatloaf. I figure most Meatloaf fans are about 45 my now anyway. (I am 40, so I lived through the Meatloaf era myself.)

Now, I have had some punk experiences, but never with a camera. I was in London about 20 years ago and saw the Ramones at the Hammershmith Palais. I seriously thought that I was going to die once the band came on. I have never been in a crowd like that. Yikes! :o

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin