Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,766   Posts: 1,484,158   Online: 777

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

What constitutes a 'professional' camera?

Sorry if this is the wrong forum, didn't think this topic was volatile enough for the lounge!

Ok, I ask the question because I was reading the times and arrangements for an open air Meatloaf concert which my nephew and his mum have gone to this evening. See here.

One of the T+Cs states: No professional cameras, video recorders or any form of audio-visual recording equipment allowed in the event site.

Now, I understand the restrictions on sound or video equipment, but at what point is a camera considered a 'professional' camera?

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As far as I know, who knows. I consider a professional camera to be any camera used by a professional (who ever that is). Is a bottom end Yachica 124 a professional camera because it uses 120 roll film? A lot of pros use N 90s or F 100 rather than the top of the line F5 or new F6. What about a M4 or M3? Maybe any 35 mm with interchangable lens and big flash?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thats what I figured too. I could lay out on a top end Nikon but hanging around my neck it is just an SLR, hang it around David Bailey's neck and it's a pro camera. I was just wondering what criteria event organisers might use as to what is a 'pro' camera.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

I'm sure the idea is that if you had a plastic snapshot camera you'd be fine but anything that can take a picture that is equal to what a pro would do, you would be infringing on their rights to make money off the residuals.

Michael
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think Paul hit it. I've known some folks who were let in with cameras (sex and what you look like play a role here) only to be harassed by security once they started shooting and "looking like a serious photographer." I'd venture to guess that someone carrying a 20D would be stopped faster than someone carrying a K1000 Best to leave the 200 2.8 and vertical grip home

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Sounds like someone's very subjective and unspecified definition.
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Hawley
    Sounds like someone's very subjective and unspecified definition.
    And I'm sure the more vague the better for the people to enforce it...

joe

Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Just dont get caught with your cell phone in plain view!

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blansky
    you would be infringing on their rights to make money off the residuals.

Michael
    This is the thinking locally at a restoration village and also the county park. The restoration village (Hale Farm) says you can shoot any camera as long as you don't use a tripod. When I have wandered the park with my 4x5 on a tripod several park rangers have asked if I have gotten the permit for $20 an hour.

They put that together especially for weddings. If you are making money on their scenery, they want some as well. They have backed off when told that I am taking photo courses at the local college and this is for an assignment. Surprisingly one of the rangers had a son in my class. Once he knew that I could go anywhere I wanted to.

It is a funny world out there.

John Powers

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think a professional camera is one designed stand up to the rigors of everyday use.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin