Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,949   Posts: 1,585,936   Online: 998

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    True True Dave... when folks come in here and (seeing I am not the 65 year old guy they expect from such a place) try to tell me that I should close up (or that I must have a messed up mind to open) or go digital I remind them that the fact they came to me in the 1st place and spent $ tells me otherwise. Yep, sell film today while I can, plan for the future and leave the worrying to those afraid of change.
    The Darkroom Studios ~ Brad Walker
    27 North Centre Street ~ Merchantville, NJ 08109
    856.488.1546 info@thedarkroomstudios.com
    "Film Ain't Dead Yet!"

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Duffy
    There is enough of a supply of high quality manual film cameras around today that even if they never made another one they'll be plenty around for anyone who wants to use one. ...
    Take care,
    Tom
    Agreed.

I'm working on my lifetime supply right now!

Cheers

David

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    We are all doomed.
    Most of us will not be here 50 years from now.
    What's left of our endeavor will will go to the dump.
    The junk man will demand $200 from our wives to haul all that "junk" away.
    We are in denial.
    Film will be as dead as collodion is today. Merely a curiousity.
    No one will want the bother.
    Horses will not be allowed on the Interstate highway.
    Radio tubes will be a special order manufacture.
    As 115 roll film disappeared before we were born, so all silverhalide will die.
    All is lost.
    And for what?
    We are all doomed as we rebell against the machine.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    If film disappears completely i'll be doing wet-plate collodion...actually i'm just about to start doing wet-plate soon. i just think ambrotypes and wet-plate collodion glass negs printed on albumen look gorgeous.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I drive a fifty year-old car, use a 100 year-old camera, live in a 120 year-old house... I ain't about to be worried about doom-n-gloom prophesies.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Actually, the current film camera situation reminds me of the American Automobile in Cuba. Nothing past 1958 vintage, "all" kept in running order. We are very close to having the "big boys" no longer manufacturing film cameras. That's OK. The manual cameras still out there will be usable darn near forever.
    Two New Projects! Light on China - 07/13/2014

www.joelipkaphoto.com

250+ posts and still blogging! "Postcards from the Creative Journey"

http://blog.joelipkaphoto.com/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Somebody will make them.

Hell, the just came out with the F6 DESPITE the dire predictions that there "would never be another Fx film camera EVER!"

One interesting fact is that while technology has made the film market smaller by some, it will also probably save the film camera.

Rapid prototyping and production is becoming the big thing now. Basically, these machines allow you you to CAD up a design and then produce the actual item via a special lathe or ummm...hard to describe, but it is a big old machine.

The price of this technology is dropping FAST. To the point of people seriously talking about the day when consumers could download a part from the Internet.

Now, think about this too....

In 50 years many copyrights on cameras will have expired. That means the camera is in the public domain.

This could be an actual situation -

A group of "Open Source" type photo guys go out and dissect an old IIIf. They measure every single part with an automated system (they have those too). This then recreates the parts as a CAD file. Even down to the screws. Notes are made on materials, etc.

This is then placed on the Internet as an Open Source design.

Joe Camera Fan downloads the file and sends a copy to Jim's Fabrication.

Jim's, for a small fee, produces the part from the file automatically. This is what Jim's does. The IIIf parts are produced on Jim's fabricator automatically right between a flywheel for a 1953 Ford and a set of custom wall sconces.

Joe picks up the parts and very carefully follows the building instructions he also downloaded.

Voila! Cheap IIIf body.
    Official Photo.net Villain
    ----------------------
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]DaVinci never wrote an artist's statement...[/FONT]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Kennedy
    In 50 years many copyrights on cameras will have expired. That means the camera is in the public domain.
    I think you want to look at patents, not copyrights. Patents generally last twenty years. Regardless, I suspect that most of use cameras who's patents expired long ago.

Shooter
    Medium Format

Film vs Digital in 100 yrs?

The real question is not where film cameras be in 20 years, it should read... how many of today's digital cameras will still be around in 20 years?... 30, 50, n 100 years form now?

I know my old RBs and Mamiya TLRs will still be around and working perfectly for a long long time, they are already 30-40 years old. I have enough parts to keep em running for another 40+ years if I live so long. I know how to reapir them and I am teaching others to do the same. With the MF dumping going on because of digital conversions, I can get all the spare parts I will ever need to last almost forever. Because of digital, I may have to make my own film and paper... maybe even mix my own chemicals too but it'll still be around regardless.

Consider this... A 35yr old Pentax Spotmatic is still in demand today and still takes a beautiful picture just as it did 35 years ago. Will any digital cameras ever make that claim 35 years from now? Will your D70s or Canons today still be around in 30 years taking beautiful pics like your old 1970s Spotmatic is today? I have a feeling they'll all be at the bottom of the dump, not even recycled for spare parts, maybe ground up for the plastic recycling bin at best. All those expensive bodies and lenses will be tossed whole as garbage. They don't even look good on the mantle over the fireplace and will probably melt from the heat.

Then there are Large Format cameras that have been around since the beginning and are still functioning just as well. There are people right here on this site that make beautiful LF cameras out of quality materials that will last for another few centuries with some care. Canl any digital cameras hold a flash to that?... candles will be obsolete by then, replaced by LEDs.
    Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I wouldn't be surprised if film/digital were a non-issue within 50 years. I can imagine someone producing "nano-film" which would be a variety of film using nanotechnology that would behave like film (you would actually program it to assume given film/developer combination characteristics), be loadable into a film camera, but would become a fully-developed image as soon as it was shot, somehow (if someone wanted to) communicating the image to a separate device, if folks are still inclined to obsess over staring at each image as soon as it's shot. With such a film, anything from a Nikon F to a Graflex Speed Graphic would become at once both a film and a digital camera. Hell, there's no reason why such a film wouldn't also have the "shutter" built in as well.

I suspect you'd still have to contact print your "neg" onto duplicating film for more archival permanence.

-KwM-

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin