Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,871   Posts: 1,583,427   Online: 1221

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In the far future there will be substance-less lenses; light guided by principles that are just now emerging - infinite dof, zero distortion, and unbelievable resolution, and there will be multi-terabit storage for an image.

However, cameras will not be able to turn back time, so what you capture now is priceless.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Who knows, by then someone might have made digital systems worth using.

David.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The life of the digitals is good point.

My wife is on her second digital P+S. In the time it took do that, I haven't had a single camera break "beyond repair."

What happened to her first digicam to make it "unrepairable"?

A slider switch broke off.

It would cost more to fix than to replace with the newest digigizmo!

Meanwhile I haven't had an issue with my Graphics, or my ETRsi.

I will say though, the Pentax Optio 50 is a very nice little P+S. But it is just that...a P+S. Not good for much else. Her old Digital Elph was a dog...
    Official Photo.net Villain
    ----------------------
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]DaVinci never wrote an artist's statement...[/FONT]

Shooter
    Large Format
    If I am here in 50 years to worry about where to get my camera repaired, I will be a _very_ happy, and _very_ old person ;-)

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    50 is a newish camera at my house. I have several that are 80-100 years old. And I have enough 10" roll film in the deep freeze to keep making pics on Efke 100 until about 2042. I figure I'll teach my grandbabies the craft when the time comes and after they bury me in the back yard they can crank up the Brunswick Victrola and listen to 78's while they print stuff they've made from those same cameras. If paper's all gone they can coat their own Pt/Pd. Gelatine Silver is just for the lazy right? That's what I love about LF. It really is timeless.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Satinsnow
    Does it really matter to most of us, what is around in 50 years?
    Hmmm...maybe me...I will be 76 in 50 years...then I will have bad eye-sight and really be in need of a Ultra Large Format camera

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't know what film cameras will be like in fifty years, indeed if they will still be made , or the film to put in them since in our society is driven by the mass market, and profitability seems to dictate what is available, and the bottom line is the companies share price.

Shooter
    35mm
    Dear Jamnut

I share your sentiments and concern about this issue. I am sure there will be more like ourselves who advocate analog cameras.

What I can say for now is that I do not really care about the digital revolution. Marketers are out there to push the trend and they succeed, but we can still make analog cameras and film the main regardless the developments in digital. This is achieved by educating your clients and friends about the value of film.

I was heartened to have feedback from some friends and clients that film has not been matched by digital prints this far. They have always put the two side by side and they still respect film.

As photographers, especially supporters of analog, we can band together to create that resilience to stamping out analog altogether. I know of a photographer who always delivers two sets of pictures to clients - film and digital. In fact, other photographers I hear from, use digital as the test and only deliver film as the final.

Take the printer for example in the Internet age, it has not gone out of production for the simple fact people still want to have something tangible to hold in hand and look. So we have more advanced printers. Less need be said about ink, people are now printing more with access to the net. This makes the ink industry - immortal, if I dare say so.

I hope other photoraphers reading this thread will not underestimate their potential to make a dent in the digital industry to prevent the extinction of the analog camera and film.

It's all photographer vs. manufacturer now.

Adrian

Quote Originally Posted by jamnut
    Those of us who enjoy analog photography are alright for now, even with diminishing resources, but the picture in 20 years could be quite different.
    Let's say that a supply of film and paper and chemicals is always around in the future. What about cameras?
    In short:
    1. Who will be willing to build film cameras?
    2. Who will have the know how to repair our present cameras?
    3. Where will we get the parts for our cameras?

In 20 years, when 50 megapixel disposable cameras are common, who will take time for film cameras? What are your thoughts?
    Thanks!

Shooter
    Large Format
    For a serious answer...

I have no doubts whatsoever that with our current government (in the US) and the slumping sales of digital anything, they will either stricktly regulate or outright make illegal the sale and use of essential analog photo supplies. That silver is highly toxic after all! Even though millions buy special equipment just to make silvered water to drink and cure all their ills...

Anyone up for a black-market network??? ;-)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Film will live on!
    For ultimate quality I don't see digital ever catching up.

Even pro labs highest quality digital prints just now are utterly rubbish, so if they can't even be of acceptable quality now I doubt they'll ever be better!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin