Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,577   Posts: 1,545,715   Online: 796

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Future Film

Quote Originally Posted by paul ron
    The real question is not where film cameras be in 20 years, it should read... how many of today's digital cameras will still be around in 20 years?... 30, 50, n 100 years form now?

I know my old RBs and Mamiya TLRs will still be around and working perfectly for a long long time, they are already 30-40 years old. I have enough parts to keep em running for another 40+ years if I live so long. I know how to reapir them and I am teaching others to do the same. With the MF dumping going on because of digital conversions, I can get all the spare parts I will ever need to last almost forever. Because of digital, I may have to make my own film and paper... maybe even mix my own chemicals too but it'll still be around regardless.

Consider this... A 35yr old Pentax Spotmatic is still in demand today and still takes a beautiful picture just as it did 35 years ago. Will any digital cameras ever make that claim 35 years from now? Will your D70s or Canons today still be around in 30 years taking beautiful pics like your old 1970s Spotmatic is today? I have a feeling they'll all be at the bottom of the dump, not even recycled for spare parts, maybe ground up for the plastic recycling bin at best. All those expensive bodies and lenses will be tossed whole as garbage. They don't even look good on the mantle over the fireplace and will probably melt from the heat.

Then there are Large Format cameras that have been around since the beginning and are still functioning just as well. There are people right here on this site that make beautiful LF cameras out of quality materials that will last for another few centuries with some care. Canl any digital cameras hold a flash to that?... candles will be obsolete by then, replaced by LEDs.
    I too have Mamiya medium format cameras and as you say, they will still be working in fifty years, but will anyone still be making roll film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I just had a strange idea, to bury a good classic camera with some fine negatives in some kind of super-sealed capsule full of nitrogen... and add a note. What should the note say?

(Where to put it... in a rural area bound to be developed, but not for a long time.)

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by modafoto
    FWIW

In the town where I live a new photo club has started. It is ALL digital, so maybe that means that the club I frequent isn't digital enough for some people. Maybe there is still some room for the analog folks, although I feel left out in my photo club right now (I haven't been there much for the last half year because I grew tired of the digital stuff everywhere in the club).
    With the new club I hope that we have some room for the analog people who are still around. I don't hate digital, I just think it has taken over anything in our club...

Morten
    Morten,
    This is how I feel regarding the camera clubs here. A lot of people do digital and enjoy it; but I feel left out a lot of the time. I enjoy my LF, so I show up and if I contribute, fine, if not, fine. I don't have to pay for the one club and I doubt I'll go back to the other one (you do have to pay for it).
    Diane

Halak 41

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    No chance of a 50MP disposable camera, lenses on those camera cant produce enought data for it to be worth it, even if the lens was good you would need 35mm Full frame to get benefit.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ajuk
    No chance of a 50MP disposable camera, lenses on those camera cant produce enought data for it to be worth it, even if the lens was good you would need 35mm Full frame to get benefit.
    They won't need 'em anyway, by then everyone will have implants that will allow them to store and manipulate an image they've just seen, then "think" it at their holo projection equipment. Voila, took a whole second and a half.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin