Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,546   Posts: 1,572,923   Online: 979

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

Film cameras in 20 years? 50? 100?

Those of us who enjoy analog photography are alright for now, even with diminishing resources, but the picture in 20 years could be quite different.
    Let's say that a supply of film and paper and chemicals is always around in the future. What about cameras?
    In short:
    1. Who will be willing to build film cameras?
    2. Who will have the know how to repair our present cameras?
    3. Where will we get the parts for our cameras?

In 20 years, when 50 megapixel disposable cameras are common, who will take time for film cameras? What are your thoughts?
    Thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hmmm. There's a parallel. 8mm cine. And another, even more absurd. 9.5 mm cine. And another, less absurd. American-made press cameras.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Does it really matter to most of us, what is around in 50 years?

Dave

Images
    My camera will still be working and I am sure film will be around then as well. Maybe as a niche market but who cares, it will be here. Contrary to what the digital world says on a regular basis, film is not dead nor will it be.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Large Format
    Local Amish farmers are still using farm equipment that is 100 years old and they still produce bountiful crops. Most of my cameras are several years old and seem to be able to take great pictures despite my lack of talent. So I don't think we need to worry about our the future of our equipment.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would guess that at least for large format cameras, the same people who are building them now. Maybe not the exact same people, but people who enjoy using the format. Large format hasn't been cutting edge for what, about 100 years now, and people are still using them and building new ones.

By the way, I got my first 8mm cine camera earlier this year after seeing the quality of some movies that my Grandfather took in the 1930's and 40's, it is a blast to use. It sure beats the heck out of that video camera that I used to use.
    Scott Stadler

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hey Satin.... speak for yerself "old man" lol j/k Us Young'uns will care. (Okay, so I'll by about 80 in 50 years so I'll then be a bald old curmudgeon myself )

Umm... yeah I still sell 8mm and processing mailers. Not many mind you, but still do. The lovely thing about the shrinking world is that even if the last good analog camera repair shop is in Hell, Wisconsin you'll still be able to ship it, fix it, and get it back quite easily.

There is enough of a supply of high quality manual film cameras around today that even if they never made another one they'll be plenty around for anyone who wants to use one. I'm giving my Leica M6 Millennium to one of my daughters (the one who thinks the manual everything is way cool compared to the autoeverything cameras) in the event I don't make it to 104. I have no doubt that she will be able to obtain B&W film and plenty of spare parts and service if she wants/needs them. View cameras can last forever. None of this should be an issue.

If they solve the dynamic range issue with digital sensors by then, I'd use one for color.
    Take care,
    Tom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by thedarkroomstudios
    Hey Satin.... speak for yerself "old man" lol j/k Us Young'uns will care. (Okay, so I'll by about 80 in 50 years so I'll then be a bald old curmudgeon myself )
    Hey,

All I am trying to say, is I know I have film and cameras now, and that is what I shoot, overthinking the future can really mess with you mind..

Shoot for today and the future will fall in place!

Dave

Shooter
    127 Format
    Most of my camera's are about 50 years old. If I'm not still using at least some of them in another 50, the I recon it's more likely down to me failing than to them - I'd give them a better chance of making it than I do... (if only because they outnumber me, so statistically they have an edge).

Ian

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin