Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,837   Posts: 1,582,440   Online: 701

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Large Format
    I've used the thread repair tools from micro-tool on two badly dented lenses. Using a small hammer and gently expanding and relocating the tool, I was able to "repair" both so that they accept filters nicely.

paul ron-- where do you find the thread ring tap you mention? I've never seen one that large (49mm, 52mm, 67mm and 72mm).
    —Eric

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The thread ring chaser is an old trick. You can make your own chaser from an old filter step down ring since they are nice and beefy. By cutting grooves in the ring, you allow waste to escape but be sure to go slow and back it in and out after every 1/8th turn.

You can get real chasers from industrial tool companies. I have a set I got in Long Island City in Queens NY from a company called Carter Milchman Frank (CMF) on 31st street.

Some sources I found on the interent that may be of interest...

http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/N2DRVSH

http://www.hyetech.com/greenfield.html for chasers

http://www.cartech.com/machining_zone/threading.html info
    Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Those are nice links Paul. Thanks. They might come in handy. Today our 10$ bargain/suprise Yashica GSN arrived and yes, it has some nasty surprises. Most nasty one we can see now is the filter ring. It looks like it's been slammed into a wall several times after falling down a 10ft concrete stairs: dings galore. We need to get this straightened out in case we need to disassemble the lens to get to the shutter. The super crude thing to do would be to saw off the bad part of the lens barrel, but we like to approach this with a little more subtlety (spelling ). A new thread repairing adventure is about to start. Any pitfalls on the road ahead of us we need to be warned about?

Cheers, medform-norm

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Your camera cost you $10 so don't go and spend another $200 fixing it. It's suposed to be fun restoring it so keep it as cheap as you can. I'd go with straightneing the ring as much as you can by tapping it out with a leather hammer on a round wood plug close to the same diamiter, slightly smaller and of hard wood. I use my carver's lignum vitae malet as my wood plug, the small one is close to 70mm round.

After you get it nice and round, get a step up ring and make some slots in the threads using a dremel cut off wheel. That will help it cut it's own threads as you force it on. Once it is in place, you have a permenent working filter ring with new threads in place.
    Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin