Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,061   Posts: 1,611,428   Online: 1011

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Salt Water

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Check with the boat's owner before you run out the tripod spikes on deck.
    You might want to put on a harness and hook up before you ask.

Old windbag from Lake Erie
    John Powers

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    I covered weekend sailboat races for one winter out here in the NW. I protected my cameras pretty well and had what at the time was considered pretty tight gear when it came to dust and moisture (Canon 35mm F1N's). I never had any problems with the lenses (various fixed focal length Canon lenses) but the salt air and moisture did get to one of the F1N bodies. When I sent the body into the Canon Pro Services group for repair (I don't know if that group still exists) they said it was unrepairable and a total loss.
    Regards,

Wally

Member:
    National Sarcasm Society
    (like we need your support)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I agree with the others about using a waterproof camera if you can. Spray gets everywhere, but even belowdecks you run into a lot of dampness. And on longer heavy-weather passages there's a peculiar stirring phenomenon that occurs down there, in which every liquid on board somehow manages to mix with every other liquid and get into everything else, no matter how well sealed. This is why carefully wrapped clothes that never left the hanging locker end up smelling like a combination of salt water, diesel, and Dinty Moore Beef Stew---and the same stuff seems to find its way into cameras. The other problem is that cameras get banged around a lot on sailboats; this always seems to happen much more than I think it should, but maybe I'm just clumsy. I don't have a waterproof camera, so I usually bring a camera I don't really like that's been beaten up so much already that it has no resale value anyway. Someday it will become useless, but until then I feel as though I were getting away with something.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Watch the seals on old Nikonoses -- can be hard to replace.

I bought a 35mm motorized+flash 35mm underwater P&S the other day NEW for $39... pretty surprising. Maybe the pics will look like crap but I had the camera in 80 ft of water this morning & it seemed to be working... well, swimmingly.

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    Large Format
    I've been using a Nikonos V w/35mm lens for years and it's bulletproof. So solid it makes a handy weapon in the inner city on a rainy night. Salt water, just hose it off. Be sure you can find an extra o-ring kit if buying used. It containes a tube of lube/seal. Or petroleum jelly will work.

The 35mm and 80mm lens are made for under and above water use. A 28mm is above water wet condition lens. The others are underwater only.

You would be better off looking for one in Ontario that has only seen fresh water use.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin