Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,950   Posts: 1,557,890   Online: 943

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A quick FYI

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

A quick FYI

If you ever spill fixer onto a towel, make sure that that towel doesn't make it into a load a laundry.

All my whites smell like a blasted darkroom now.
    Gear: Camera, Brain, Light.
    Website - FB

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Collect up the affected whites and give them a long wash, just as you would a print, including multiple changes of water (every five minutes, and wash for an hour). The fixer is bound to the cotton fibers, and will take a long time to wash clear (though it likely would be helped by pre-washing in a strongish sodium sulfite solution).
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Wash the towel in salt water, then another in plain.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    After discovering that myself, I decided the concept of the "darkroom towel" was just not a good one, and I've reverted to paper towels in the darkroom.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    oxyclean, just one scoop, followed by a fabric dryer sheet in the drying cycle. Works wonders for even towels that have been used to clean a dog sprayed by a skunk.
    Non Digital Diva

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, this is good info! I have been gathering up my darkroom towels, not really sure what to do about getting them clean. I was a wee bit concerned about putting them in with the regular laundry, so I've got a small pile of them building up! :o
    Jeanette
    .................................................. ................
    Isaiah 25:1

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    FYI old towels relegated to the darkroom are a MAJOR source of airborne lint. The hard restaurant style cloth napkins are better, but I'd still like to find a cost effective non linting wipe.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by glbeas
    FYI old towels relegated to the darkroom are a MAJOR source of airborne lint. The hard restaurant style cloth napkins are better, but I'd still like to find a cost effective non linting wipe.
    Those new microfiber clothes, the kind that look like chamoise's
    Non Digital Diva

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by glbeas

It wasn't relagated to my darkroom. It was relegated to be the spill cloth under my uniroller in the tupperware bin I run it in in my bedroom.
    Gear: Camera, Brain, Light.
    Website - FB

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald Qualls
    Collect up the affected whites and give them a long wash, just as you would a print, including multiple changes of water (every five minutes, and wash for an hour). The fixer is bound to the cotton fibers, and will take a long time to wash clear (though it likely would be helped by pre-washing in a strongish sodium sulfite solution).
    How 'bout some hypo clear in the rinse cycle? (just kidding!)

web site: Dan Henderson, Photographer.com

blog: https://danhendersonphotographer.wordpress.com/

I am not anti-digital. I am pro-film.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin