Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,211   Posts: 1,531,987   Online: 1131

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    (*snicker*)

sounds like the time my wife and I went to the LISA conference in New Orleans. We never saw so many endomorphs in one place. I had to hold the digicam up above my head and get a shot of the crowd -- not unlike that kid's show boobah: http://pbskids.org/boohbah/boohbah.html

-KwM-

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hey -- should someone who just comes in off the street to this show just expect to be a 'buyer', or can they have a reasonable expectation of being able to swap some gear? As I mentioned above, I've got a 4x5 speed graphic w/135mm that right now I want a lot less than a Canon FD body and fast normal lens. Ideal world, I'd love some variety of F1 (or Ftb or TX) and a 1.8 or better 50mm.

-KwM-

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kwmullet
    Hey -- should someone who just comes in off the street to this show just expect to be a 'buyer', or can they have a reasonable expectation of being able to swap some gear? As I mentioned above, I've got a 4x5 speed graphic w/135mm that right now I want a lot less than a Canon FD body and fast normal lens. Ideal world, I'd love some variety of F1 (or Ftb or TX) and a 1.8 or better 50mm.

-KwM-
    From past experience, there will be dealers there who are buying. But remember, they are paying wholesale, and you are paying retail. It won't be a "swap" among amateur enthusiasts. :o

Still, deals such as what you describe do happen. My advice, bring a little cash ...

David

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by stark raving
    Lovely idea, but I'll pass this time. There's a show in the Philadelphia area in October, and I'm sure I'll be at that one. Like a moth to the flame, y'know...
    Um, stark raving, if yesterday's Second Sunday show is any indicator, the show in Phila. will be sparsely populated. Few sellers, few buyers. I have the impression that for camera shows the end is nigh.

Texicans, will you please report back on your show after its happened?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm
    ... if yesterday's Second Sunday show is any indicator, the show in Phila. will be sparsely populated. Few sellers, few buyers. I have the impression that for camera shows the end is nigh.

Texicans, will you please report back on your show after its happened?
    Sure.

As I said earlier in this thread, these shows aren't what they used to be. Locally, we used to have 6 (yes, 6) a year. Two in Dallas, two in Ft. Worth, and two in between. Now we have 2 a year (in between), and they are much smaller! The space is half the size of the ones in the past, and the aisles are wider.

I've bought lenses, a camera or two, lights, safelights, flashes, a dry mount press, and more "things' than I can remember. But, very little lately. (OK, in all fairness, I am trying to "cut down"!!! :o )

Nothing lasts forever, <sigh>

David

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm
    Um, stark raving, if yesterday's Second Sunday show is any indicator, the show in Phila. will be sparsely populated. Few sellers, few buyers. I have the impression that for camera shows the end is nigh.
    Dan,

Shows are in decline for sure, but my impression is it's a gradual, not precipitous thing. I've been to all the Philly shows for the last 4-5 years. I still seem to find trinkets and oddments that I "need", especially when I go with an open (blank?) mind. (Blankness of mind is a state I am finding ever-easier to achieve as I close in on 50......)

Things I've snagged in the last year include an Imarect finder, a lovely, fully working Kodak Tourist with f4.5 lens, and a 300mm Super Takumar tele, all for bargain prices. Even if I don't buy, seeing and handling the goods and chatting up the sellers is worth the $5 admission fee.

The next Philly show is Oct. 23. Perhaps I'll bump into a Delaware Valley APUG'er or two...??

Jonathan

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing
    After wandering further for several minutes, and observing the sartorial splendour of the majority of the people there, her next comment was inspired by a recently popular television program, and even more telling:

"no offense, but if ever there was a group who together needed the 'Queer Eye for the Straight Guy' treatment, it is this one"
    Matt-

Been there. Here's a little tale I originally posted on another forum:

A few years ago I took She Who Must Be Obeyed to her first camera show. We split up, as she watched the people and I (naturally) ogled the goods for sale. After a few minutes, she sidled back up to me with a priceless look on her face, sort of a mixture of bemusement and horror. She whispered to me, "Honey, these people here, they're.... they're..... they're....... THEY'RE ALL NERDS!!!!!!!"

What could I say, heh, heh.....

Indeed.

Jonathan

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    ... they're.... they're..... they're....... THEY'RE ALL NERDS!!!!!!!"
    Meetings are on 3rd Thursdays.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by David Brown
    Meetings are on 3rd Thursdays.
    Sorry. Can't come to PhotoNerds. 3rd Thursday's are reserved for my British Motorcycle Nerds meetings (aka local chapter of Riders Association of Triumph)!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Dan,

Shows are in decline for sure, but my impression is it's a gradual, not precipitous thing. I've been to all the Philly shows for the last 4-5 years. I still seem to find trinkets and oddments that I "need", especially when I go with an open (blank?) mind. (Blankness of mind is a state I am finding ever-easier to achieve as I close in on 50......)

Things I've snagged in the last year include an Imarect finder, a lovely, fully working Kodak Tourist with f4.5 lens, and a 300mm Super Takumar tele, all for bargain prices. Even if I don't buy, seeing and handling the goods and chatting up the sellers is worth the $5 admission fee.

The next Philly show is Oct. 23. Perhaps I'll bump into a Delaware Valley APUG'er or two...??

Jonathan
    Jonathan, wild horses couldn't keep me away. She who must be obeyed allows me to go to them. I'll go early, take a couple of turns 'round the room, and probably leave empty-handed. If Charlie Barringer comes with me -- not likely, but it has happened before -- the process will take a little longer.

I continue going to shows within reach because I'm susceptible to intermittent reinforcement. The days when I could cover the costs of attending by buying things at the show and selling them on eBay were, I thought, long gone, but a couple of months ago I found an underpriced WF Ektar at Wayne. Yippee! The days when I could count on finding something on my shopping list at a camera show were, I thought, long gone, but a couple of months ago Leon Pomerantz turned up at Wayne with a pile of new Berlebach tripods. Bingo! And last Sunday I turned up a couple of very cheap pre-WWI CZJ Tessars that will do as trade bait or gifts. One never knows, but in all seriousness the odds just keep on getting worse.

About bumping, that can be arranged. Thing is, APUGgers, avatars notwithstanding, aren't easy to recognize. We'll have to wear APUG hats or something.

Cheers,

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin