Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,546   Posts: 1,544,516   Online: 1098

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Report from this morning, a good visit was had with Lee, David and Jeremy...we even managed to agree on a place for breakfast

The camera show was about as sad as one would think...maybe sadder. Just a shadow of it's former self. Lee was smart and kept his hands in his pocket, but I did find an Ilex #4 shutter (no iris) for $20 that seemed to be in good condition. Will try the Agfa 305mm in it, if that will not work, can always try to find another set of optics that will fit it. That and a couple of Linhof Technica lensboards for $10 each rounded out my day....Of course the day was not a total lose, since Jeremy picked up an excellent copy of Laura Gilpin's An Enduring Grace for me...at half the price.

It really is a great book Jeremy....Thanks!!
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Lookie what I'm sporting!

[font=Arial][size=2]Dianna got back from work around 3am, so we got a late start and had to miss the meet-up and breakfast, but we did make the camera show around 2pm, a couple of hours before it closed.

Hey, photomc, this was the BEST camera show I've ever seen, but then again, it's the ONLY one I've ever been to. From your disappointment, I guess the closest thing I've ever seen was the merchandise room at a Star Trek convention in Houston around 1974 or 75.

I managed to score a Canon F-1 (an F-1n, I believe) manufactured in Sept 1971 at the whichever[/size][/font][font=Arial][size=2] factory the "C" code is for and an FD 50mm 1.4 manufactured in March 1980.

At one table, I "lightened my load" of a spare spot meter and my Crown Graphic. At another table, I found two F1s, each of which I got tested at the other end of the room by David Powell, and I chose the better/cheaper of the two.

I'm very pleased. This F1 was the model camera that I used routinely as a US Navy Photographer and is a wonderful linkage for me to an earlier time in my life when I enjoyed a lot of benefits I didn't fully appreciate at the time (guaranteed room/board, lots of travel, no bills, as much film and paper as I can use for free, unlimited access to a huge darkroom complex and doing photography every single day).

As tested, the meter seems a little weak, but most of the time I anticipate using my spot meter. The light trap felt is gummy and almost gone, so that'll probably be my first expenditure on the camera.

My Zorki is jealous. No sooner did I get the camera in the car, than I stripped my Domke strap off the Zorki and put it on the F1, my new favorite camera!

Now that I've got an F1 and Dianna has the AE-1 program, we're going to liquidate the remainder of our Canon EF gear to fund lenses for the FD kit.

It's a wonderful time for film shooters. :)

-KwM-
    [/size][/font]
    Last edited by kwmullet; 09-18-2005 at 10:01 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Kevin, sorry we missed you, but glad you had a great day. You're right, it's all relative. Imagine a room three times that size and 5x the vendors, and you would have the Ft. Worth show a few years ago!

However, for vintage 35mm SLR, there was stuff, and you got what you needed. Congrats.

I expect there was more action yesterday!

Cheers y'all.

David

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sounds like a good time... I am going to be in Norman, Oklahoma next month for two weeks. Looks like I just missed the show

We have some local shows here and I also notice they are getting smaller. I still enjoy going.

Regards,
    John

Images
    Good Evening,

Sounds as if the Texas show was similar to one which occured in St. Louis about three weeks ago. Number of dealers was greatly reduced from what I recall several years ago. Nothing really tempted me. Overall, it was a waste of gasoline and entrance fee.

Konical

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Kevin, sorry we missed you as well....still sounds like they had what you were looking for

Have watched the decline in the shows (and other shows like them - gun shows,etc) and would say that ebay and the internet probably have something to do with the decline as much as the change to digital.

We did have a great time, after all it's good to get together with like minded friends and thanks to APUG now have new ones

John, while your in Norman, head down to Ft. Worth if you get a chance and see the Avedon exhibit...the Amon Carter is closed on Mondays, but if you are interested and I'm around PM me and would be happy to meet you up there.
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by photomc
    Kevin, sorry we missed you as well....still sounds like they had what you were looking for :)[...]

Yep. We regret not catching the communion (communing? community?)

I think the interval between get-togethers is too long and we should get together more often, that way, if someone has to miss one, it won't be a year or so between meetups.

Funny about the camera show. I went there with a dollar in my wallet, sold my spot meter + my Crown Graphic for 225, then got the lens from one F1 and the body from another and made a 225 offer and walked out with a dollar in my wallet and an F1 in my hand.

A good day.

(actually, we're doing the same thing with most of our furniture. We're selling it all on eBay 'cause it's too big and imposing for our smaller house, and using the proceeds to buy Ikea stuff, which we like a lot more at this point in our lives.)

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Texas Camera Thieves-Caution!!!

Quote Originally Posted by David Brown
    Upcoming camera show in Grapevine - Sept. 17 & 18. Although these are not what they used to be (curses to both eBay and digital) , they can still be interesting. Never know what you'll find.

I have 3 (count'em 3) $1 off coupons. ($4 instead of $5)

I usually go on Saturday (17th). Anybody want to meet me there? Sunday is not out of the question.

David Brown
    Just a reminder to all those bringing equipment to camera shows. There's a group of thieves who will watch exhibitors load their vehicles after the show and follow them to a restaurant, bar or motel. Whilst the camera traders are otherwise indisposed, the thieves very quickly break into the vehicle and steal all the good stuff. It takes the crooks under a minute to complete the theft and one guy at a Dallas show lost $40,000 worth of equipment! You might want to check and see if you're being followed before leaving your camera-laden car unattended for any length of time.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Changeling1
    ... one guy at a Dallas show lost $40,000 worth of equipment! ...
    :rolleyes:

Trust me, there wasn't anybody there with 40 grand worth of anything ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That did happen about 5 or 6 years ago, at least. It was the Dallas show, and the dealer had stopped to eat, by the time he came out to his car (van) it had been cleaned out of all the equipment. As David said, no one at this show had anything near 40 grand worth of equipment...mater of fact don't think most had much more the $4,000 worth...it was indeed slim pickins.
    Mike C

Rambles

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin