Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,972   Posts: 1,523,588   Online: 922

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    BTW what does an LF enlarger weigh eg the DII?
    Søren

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I don't think my D-II is more than 25 lbs (say 10 kg or so), and on the rolling table it doesn't much matter.

Before I had the D-II, I used my Linhof Tech V with a Graflarger back, enlarging lenses mounted on Technika boards, and a copy stand. That was even lighter, and didn't take up much more space than the camera itself and the copy stand, which I already had.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Søren,

start climbing. That will help. In a few years ;-)

I did'nt weight the DII but it's heavy enough to need 2 people carrying it up the stairs. Luckily I have a permanent DR.

David's suggetion is interesting... a rolling table (with locking wheels?). Should think about that when I rebuild my DR end of this year.

G
    (sorry for going OT)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by argus
    Søren,

start climbing. That will help. In a few years ;-)

I did'nt weight the DII but it's heavy enough to need 2 people carrying it up the stairs. Luckily I have a permanent DR.

David's suggetion is interesting... a rolling table (with locking wheels?). Should think about that when I rebuild my DR end of this year.

G
    (sorry for going OT)
    Climbing ? Alpine ? Do you know the danish mountains
    Yes the rolling table is a great idea except for the doorsteps in our house.
    Anyone wanna buy 132 squareM house with a new kitchen price 1.6 mill Dkr
    Looks like my idea of LF enlarger sizes is somewhat exaggerated
    Søren

Shooter
    Multi Format
    5x7. Ansco or similar should set you back less then $200.

No enlarger just contact print.

Depreciation??? Well worse case it'll sell for firewood. But a $200 camera can't get much cheaper.

Film in 5x7 isn't that expensive.

It's not that heavy.

BTW my LF enlarger is much heavier. They all vary.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    And from 5X7 and up you get decent contacts, or ?
    So in some way the larger the neg the cheaper it gets, to some extent ?
    Søren

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Contact prints equal nirvana-) 5x7 is the sweet spot in terms of price. The cameras aren't expensive. The lenses usually aren't. The film holders are reasonable. I figure if you're in Europe you'll use 13x18cm instead. Both will fit the same cameras unless the camera is really old.

Bigger then 5x7 things get more expensive. 8x10 cameras aren't too much more money but film holders are more expensive. Film is more expensive. You'll usually spend more for lenses. Plus the film format is too squarish. For me 5x7 is a nicer looking format.

Even bigger cameras really get expensive for things like film holders.

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb
    My Omega D-II is on a rolling table, so it's not too hard to move.
    Same with mine, and it rolls through the narrow door of the bathroom, er, darkroom with a couple inches to spare. And under the table, I have my paper safe, safelight fixture, extension cords, tub of enlarger accessories, and trays.
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald Qualls
    And under the table, I have my paper safe, safelight fixture, extension cords, tub of enlarger accessories, and trays.
    Under the table, I have the commode.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    i guess it really depends on what kind of photography you want to do. LF requires a tripod and pretty static subjects. But if you think LF is what you want to do, then 8x10 is actually the most convenient. You can get 8x10s in all flavors pretty cheap on the used market and no need for an enlarger, you can contact print 8x10 for a nice sized finished product.
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin