Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,665   Posts: 1,481,687   Online: 739

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: opening a file

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

opening a file

I'm trying to get a SCSI scanner I bought to work with my computer. So far so good but when I go to download a trial version of Vuescan Mozilla tells me it doesn't know what to do with this. I have a box where I can click "open it" and then a blank fill in box. HELP PLEASE!!!
    Peter

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's probably because Moz does not know what to do with .EXE files. Do a right-click (I'm assuming a Windows box here) and select "Save Link As... "

Cheers, Bob.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

DUH?

OK I got the program to load but it's telling me that I have no scanner attached
    The scanner is an older Agfa Acrus and the guy said it would run on windows-but now I'm thinking if the program says no scanner attached -well it might only run on a mac (?)Sorry for ignorance but this scanner will do up to 8x10 negatives. Any ideas?
    Thanks, Peter

Shooter
    Large Format
    on one hand you have the PC/Mac-desaster ... on the other:
    Have you properly installed the SCSI-Interface-card? Means installed in the right order ... the connection between scanner and SCSI-out? Don't laugh but ... power supply of the scanner?

can you see the SCSI-controller in "Settings" - "Control panel" - "Hardware manager"?!

If yes, what about the properties? Does it tell you something like "no driver installed" or sthg else like this?

Win98 or 2K or XP?

Horst
    everything becomes more worse. one thing becomes better: the moral becomes more worse.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Are the SCSI card drivers loaded? Are the scanner drivers loaded? Use Device Manager to make sure the SCSI card is detected. Ditto that the scanner has been detected plugged in to the SCSI card. Have you fitted (and does either end require) terminators?

Good luck - you will need it... SCSI can be a real pain... Long live USB and Firewire plug&play!

Cheers, Bob.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

OK

Horst the Vuescan is supposed to act as the driver I thought. OK so where does the interface card go? I need to get one I suppose. Missed that part of the hookup. Otherwise all the other questions are a big NO so far. I do have the disk that came with the scanner Maybe I should just try to run that-but I'll still need the interface card first right?
    Peter

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Follow Horst's instructions--SCSI card attached? Present in Hardware Manager with a working driver?

And then, be sure the SCSI chain is terminated. If the only device attached is the scanner, you may need to set a dip switch to terminate the scanner or attach a SCSI terminator to the open SCSI connector on the back of the scanner.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Well, if you don't have a SCSI card, what are you plugging the scanner into?
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb
    Well, if you don't have a SCSI card, what are you plugging the scanner into?
    Let me guess : the printer port?

Cheers Bob.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob F.
    Are the SCSI card drivers loaded? Are the scanner drivers loaded? Use Device Manager to make sure the SCSI card is detected. Ditto that the scanner has been detected plugged in to the SCSI card. Have you fitted (and does either end require) terminators?

Good luck - you will need it... SCSI can be a real pain... Long live USB and Firewire plug&play!

Cheers, Bob.
    SCSI can be very confusing on the Windows machines, as most windows machines did not have a card install as a factory option, Mac's came from the factory with a SCSI interface, and now a days, the SCSI is not a common interface card at most stores, I have picked up several on ebay, due to the scarcity in the stores, normally about $12.00 each, make sure and go to the website of the scanner company and find out which cards are compatible with the scanner before making a purchase, because some cards will not work with some scanners. Also make sure and get a card with the correct connection, there are a few different connections for SCSI, most likely you will need a DB50 Centronics connection, or a DB25 Connection, which is the same as the printer port on PC based machines. The card will have to be plugged into one of the expansion slots inside of the computer, also make sure that you get a PCI card, there are still some of the older ISA cards floating around, most of the newer computers only have PCI slots, then turn the computer on, and Windows should detect the card and either install the software for windows, or it may ask you for the windows disc, depending on the version you are running, once windows does its thing, you will need to install the vuescan software, also, you have to make sure the scanner is turned on BEFORE you turn the computer on, so it can detect the SCSI chain, another thing to be aware of, is you will need to make sure the SCSI ID is set correctly on the scanner and the card, they need to have different ID's, in addition, make sure you have the SCSI terminator in place on the scanner so the SCSI chain is terminated correctly.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin