Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,913   Posts: 1,556,252   Online: 931

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Holding/Positioning Flowers

There just has to be a good way of doing this but so far, it eludes me. So, I would like to know, from anyone who does successful flower still lifes: what do you use to hold the flowers in position, especially vertically? And especially ones with long stems?
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have used a product called a plamp, which is made by a company that also makes tripod heads,

Their website is www.tripodhead.com

Dave

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I tried my hand at doing some flower photography last night, and used one of the following with quite alot of success (minus the magnifying glass, of course). The stems of the flowers were 16 or so inches long, and with both clamps at the bottom of the stem they stayed dead still (you wouldn't want and wind gusts though). I've yet to develop the negs, but I forgot to compensate bellows extension anyway so I fear they might not be what I was hoping I'm going to try again tonight after developing what I did last night though.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you are not going to include the vase in the image, two or three layers of cardboard inside the vase with the appropiate hole in them should keep long-stemmed plants straight.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Hi Alex. I'm only a hobby photographer so I scrounge around the house for whatever does the job. I've found that if you've got a flower with a thin stem you can wind some solder-wire round the stem to make it more stable and then poke it through a bit of coloured cardboard at the angle you want. Sometimes the cardboard takes care of the background at the same time.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I use a product called a flower frog. It has a metal base with lots of little pinpoint prongs that stick straight up. You can push the stem of the flower onto the frog and it will stand upright.
    "while a hundred civilizations have prospered (sometimes for centuries) without computers or windmills or even the wheel, none have survived even a few generations without art." David Bayles & Ted Orland Art & Fear

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    You can also use what the florists use: floral wire and/or floral tape. The wire is very thin and florists usually hook/bury one end into the flower head. It doesn't show if done properly. The floral tape stretches...remember the boutonnieres (sp?) at your high school prom? You can use that to stabilize the flower to the wire.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    For flower arrangements, isn't there also a porous green foam material that florists use to keep the flowers in place? I think I've seen it in craft stores. They usually have a section for flower arranging, so they probably have some products for this purpose.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin