Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,333   Posts: 1,537,487   Online: 1107

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Photographic Annuals

Does anyone collect these, or perhaps know of any that are currently published? I have been slowly picking up the odd copy of American Annual of Photography and The British Journal of Photography Annual but wondered if anyone else who collects these knows of any others, in print or out.

The British Journal of Photography still issues an annual (if I am not mistaken) and B&W magazine just started an annual this year, but other than that I don't know of any others that are still published. Any info anyone can throw out would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

- Randy

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by reellis67
    Does anyone collect these, or perhaps know of any that are currently published? I have been slowly picking up the odd copy of American Annual of Photography and The British Journal of Photography Annual but wondered if anyone else who collects these knows of any others, in print or out.

The British Journal of Photography still issues an annual (if I am not mistaken) and B&W magazine just started an annual this year, but other than that I don't know of any others that are still published. Any info anyone can throw out would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

- Randy
    I have a weakness for the old BJP Almanacs, the small quarto size with all those fascinating advertisements. As far as I recall, the publication went to a larger size in the early 1960s and disappeared sometime in the 1980s. I also used to buy the British "Photography Yearbook" in the 1990s, this was great when edited by the (sadly now departed) Joseph Meehan, far less so when Chris Hinterobermaier took over (I thought it looked like a stock library catalogue), and also died I think 3 or 4 years ago. Before Word War II, there was "Photograms of the Year", stylistically a little tame. The only publication which (as far as I know) is still going in the UK is "Best of Friends" published by Creative Monochrome - I regard this as technically superb camera club work, personally not for me, but a noble effort. I think the best cross-section of current work (although far from completely representative) is the catalogue to the Royal Photographic Society Annual Open Exhibition. If anyone knows of a current publication like the BJP Almanac, I'd love to hear about it too!

The link for "Best of Friends": http://lynx.net.uk/cremono/

Regards,

David
    Last edited by David H. Bebbington; 10-10-2005 at 12:58 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Added link.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Current ones are a little pricey for me, but I have been collecting the old
    US Camera annuals from a local used bookstore.
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    All of mine are old as well. I've be picking them up here and there and online when I can find them. Thanks for the heads up on the other titles. I had not seen those yet so I will have to scan some of my out of print sources and see what turns up. Thanks also for the link. I am headed there now to check it out.

I'm starting a graduate program with the intent of becoming a photographic materials archivist so I am collecting as much info as I can. Unfortunately, this material does not seem to still exist in the collections of very many libraries these days. Most of the stacks I have browsed have been 'updated' to current materials, so I am trying to fill out my personal collection with used copies.

The other thing I found disappointing was the lack of interest in the local photo clubs for historical materials like these annuals. I had hoped that the last refuge for these would be photo clubs, but it turns out they are more interested in competitions than anything else. The local PSA group appears to be all digital all the time, which is fine for them, but it means that they don't have any old journals either.

If anyone is looking to off load any annuals or photo journals let me know. (PM, email, messenger, etc...)

- Randy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    i have one from 1906 - its chuck full of good stuff -
    making lantern slides, chemistry recipes ...
    i think it cost me 10$ ( needs a new cover )

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian
    i have one from 1906 - its chuck full of good stuff -
    making lantern slides, chemistry recipes ...
    i think it cost me 10$ ( needs a new cover )
    I've seen that one, and $10 is a good deal even if it needs to be re-bound. Lantern slides are really something and the chemical recipies are great fun to browse. I've got the one where Beers introduced his formula but I can't remember the year right off the top of my head. Kind of a near article to read really.

- Randy

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin