Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,338   Posts: 1,537,675   Online: 953

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paris

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Paris

Paris France, anyone from there or been there? I'm going for a week and would like to know if there are any great camera stores. I'm taking my 2x3 Busch Pressman, film holders and some Graflex holders, "6 shooters".
    I plan to go to the art galleries and sites in the city center. I would like to go out of the city. Any suggestions on where to go in the country side? I would love to spend more time there and really photograph meet and experience more people.
    Curt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Not from there, but have been quite a few times.

If you are only there for a week, you could easily spend your entire week just in the city. We find just wandering around on foot with no fixed idea of where we're going is a good way to see the "real" city.

However, the train service is excellent, so you can easily take a day trip out to the coast, or Rouen, Versailles. etc. for example.

There is a street with a few camera stores, but the name escapes me at the moment. I think there was a post in one of the other forums here that has the street name. Don't expect them to be cheap though!

Bring plenty of film with you if you are coming from the US as it will be cheaper.

Enjoy your trip.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I found this interesting whilst bantering with the wife on photography in Paris.

http://www.rutledge.com/esoterica/tr...ris/paris.html

Just a little fyi
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    www.RobertHall.com/mobile
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    you can use a tripod in Paris, Texas.

lee\c

Shooter
    Medium Format

paris

You can take a train to La Charitie, about an hour south of Paris in the Loire valley. Some of the most beautiful landscapes I have ever seen in person. The town is very old and quaint with the narrow streets etc.

Don't buy any camera stuff in france they have 16% sales tax (vat) built into the price, and while you can get it back on departure, you're better off bringing your own.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Thank you

Thanks to all who provided some much needed information. I was going to take my 2x3 Busch Pressman, with a piece of tape over the Bus h letters and shoot without a tripod, outch. My wife is not going to stand around and watch me under a dark cloth anyway. Interesting about the tripod use there. I wonder if they consider a monopod the same. or maybe my cane, extended at the right moment? Well, when in Rome do as the Romans. I want the largest format and the lightest weight. the 2x3 isn't an 11x14, but it's bigger than my 645 and 35. I have a month to plan so I will take everything in to consideration. The 645 is really fast to use and 15 on a roll isn't bad. I watched a woman go through security on a trip to Huston and she had about two dozen 35mm rolls and just dumped them out for inspection and she was good to go. I have an unopened box of 5x7 and was either going to have to open it for inspection or send it through the x-ray machine. It went through the machine. I have yet to develop the film and see.
    Again, thank you
    Curt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I wouldn't worry much about the film that went through the x-ray machine. On my last European trip, I sent a lot of rolls of 120 (speeds 100 through 400) through x-ray machines at airports in Pittsburgh, Paris, Milan, the entrance to St. Chapelle, Paris again, and New York...and none of the film was worse for wear.

Depending on the weight of your camera, you might consider a Ultrapod 2. I took one to Paris with me and used it to hold a Bronica S2a...not the lightest of cameras. The tripod's so small that the police never bothered me, and I had no trouble finding things to set it on or to strap it onto. It really did make all of the difference in the world for me...I was able to shoot in Notre Dame with 100 speed film and no flash once I found a corner in which nobody would bother me.

The Ultrapod 2 seems too small to be of much use, but it will handle a lot more than you might imagine. Plus, the price is right.

Best of luck to you...Paris is a great city in which to be a photographer.
    Dave
    Film is cheap. Opportunities are priceless.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Paris is very friendly, especially toward visiting photographers.

Travel as lightly as you can. Leave the 20x24 at home. Have fun.

A gendarme helped me make a photo of the Arc de Triomphe, at night. It was all dressed up for Armistice Day. 4x5, a tripod, long exposure. Open the shutter, close it till the cars pass, open the shutter. From the middle of the Champs ElysÈes. But I wanted the photo. Gendarme saw me, came out to see how drunk I was (not, yet ). He politely inquired if I was suicidal (not yet). I explained my grandfather had fought in WW1, and had been wounded. Whereupon, gendarme began directing traffic around me. Got the shot, a big hug and a salute. Even caught the last Metro to where I was staying. Went into a cafe, and a waiter asked if he could practise his english with me, he was going on vacation to texas. OK, even for a Paris lover like me, this had become a completely surreal night. But it can happen, that's what it's there for.

Bvd de Beaumarchais, photo shops. The flea markets, also. Have fun.

Blow off Notre Dame. Go to Sainte Chapelle. For real, no tripods inside, or flash. Tri X and a 2.8 lens= heaven.

"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    These sound great, it's more like I thought it would be. I can't wait, no business just visiting.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just took a look at the Ultrapod II, It's small and inexpensive. I thing I'll get one. I can see where you could put it about anywhere handy and have a steady shot. Beats putting your camera on a dirty table or concrete rail etc..
    Thanks for the suggestion.
    Curt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin